Rusty side window fasteners, what to do?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I ordered a sidewinder from a junkyard because I unfortunately damaged the trim on my original window and it seemed more convenient to order a window with trim from a junkyard than anything else.

I received the window today and the trim and window look very nice. But there is a problem, one of bases for the screws is very rusty. I haven't spoken to the junkyard yet, I wanted to get some ideas from you guys first.

What would you do? Is it possible to replace the screw? Should I move the trim to my old window? Is it possible to remove the trim without damaging it?

I will post an image soon.

Thanks

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
You can soak the rusting bit in oxalic acid (its a very weak acid), it will dissolve the rust to give you a better idea of the condition.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
That is a common spot for rust as the last 3 Supra's I removed the rear quarter windows and the those tabs were more rusty than yours. I would use some CLR on that to clean it up and/or a dremel with a small wire brush wheel with the glass/trim taped off in that area.

Yes the black trim does come off in two pieces. It is just clipped on the glass but be very careful as those pieces do like to bend very easy.