Running too rich? burning oil when turbo spools... HELP

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
Hi i have an 1987 toyota supra turbo targa top 5 psd manual that had ben acting up lately. when i received the car it came with about 390,000 miles original on both body and engine and since then it has gone up to 610,000 miles. Everytime i spool the turbo up in the car the car starts to stutter back and forth and black smoke comes out through the exhaust system. Im not sure if this is because i have a blown head-gasket, turbo needs rebuild, air flow is off, etc... The car is burning oil and i know this because my oil levels drop dramatically after turbo has been used over the course of the week. Do i need high milage even though car doesn't have many miles on it? please help. Thanks

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
noimitation;1736028 said:
Hi i have an 1987 toyota supra turbo targa top 5 psd manual that had ben acting up lately. when i received the car it came with about 390,000 miles original on both body and engine and since then it has gone up to 610,000 miles. Everytime i spool the turbo up in the car the car starts to stutter back and forth and black smoke comes out through the exhaust system. Im not sure if this is because i have a blown head-gasket, turbo needs rebuild, air flow is off, etc... The car is burning oil and i know this because my oil levels drop dramatically after turbo has been used over the course of the week. Do i need high milage even though car doesn't have many miles on it? please help. Thanks

You have a boost leak. Check for busted intercooler pipes.

noimitation

May 18, 2009
Gaithersburg
jetjock;1736172 said:
610,000 isn't many miles?

one 2 many zeros... 39,000 miles when i originally got it and 61,000 miles currently. Thanks for point out the obvious typo

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

MDCmotorsports;1736410 said:
You have a boost leak. Check for busted intercooler pipes.

thanks bro, ill look into that and report back