Ruff LSX swap into mk3 supra

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?159763-Jonah-91-white-package

^^go here for pics of my build...car is now gone but to a good home(getting supercharged now :) )

After getting many request of lsx swap info and cost i figured i would post it on here for all to know and think about

1st of all is the cost. I had ruffly $5000 into making my swap work. Cost probably could have been cut down to around $4000 if i wouldnt have bought extra bits
Now $4000 later your rocking a 300hp/300tq v8 in a 4000lbs car(after swap) add cam and some nitrous easy 500-550hp. Cost is ruffly the same for a JZ swap
For my swap I wanted to do v8 with turbo so I stuck with the 4L60E trans my motor was already bolted to.
Lets get started with a list of things you will need:
F body camaro water pump 2000-2004
LS1/LS6 intake manifold with fuel rails( or buy aftermarket) LS1 and LS6 manifolds will bolt right up to the common 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors
F body crank pulley
F body alternator and bracket
F body power steering pump with bracket
F body belt tensioner and belt
F body oil pan/pick up/......brain fart cant think of the plate that bolts to main bolts lol(make sure you put new o ring on oil pick up tube)
Hooker CTS-V manifolds(ruffly 1/2" of clearance between manifold and steering shaft)
Fitting for hi pressure line coming out of rack and pinion(driftmotion sells it in -6an)
Aluminum radiator(highly recommended)
Some sort of cooling fan setup(taurus fans are recommend) 80 amp solenoid would be good for these
High pressure fuel line fitting to adapt to -6an fitting(driftmotion sells this fitting)
Walbro 255 fuel pump(or better)
AFPR or corvette regulator
MISC hoses/fittings
Tons of wire....12-16 gauge
Custom driveshaft(i used a f body driveshaft cut/welded/balanced with toyota diff flange done by local driveshaft shop)
Trans cooler if going auto
Lokar braided trans dipstick tube for 4L60e(cant remember length but i can look it up)
Engine gasket kit( i bought ZR1 7 layer MHG's for my engine from GM)
Fabricate motor mount brackets(make sure you have about 1/2" of clearance between oil pan and rack)
Custom trans mount(I used a340 mount, cut center of plate out and layed a piece of 1/4" plate ontop, drilled hole, lined up and welded)
GM ecu

Now for a ruff how to:
If you are using a 4L60E you will have to cut the trans tunnel out from beginning of bend on firewall to ruffly 1" before shifter hole then about 3-4" from bend on the floors, then build a new tunnel, then customize heater core box
Once your have removed your toyota motor and motor related electronics
Time to make your motor mounts, trans mount and get everything set in a bolted together
For throttle cable i used a celica throttle cable, bolts right up to firewall and mk3 throttle pedal, cut harness a little long, built cable bracket for throttle body, heated up old cable adjusted and removed, installed on new cable and crimped in place, as far as throttle cable end i bought/used cable end for a motor cycle that tighten down with a screw
The hardest part about this swap as well as any swap is the wiring. My motor came with a cut harness so i built my own harness.
Using the existing harness i extended every wire 3 foot
With assembled motor in the bay I installed connectors 1 at a time, labeled each wire with what color it was at connector and what it was for(ex. red/black INJ 1 etc) http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm i used this site for majority of GM harness wiring
Ran wires into dash area using factory harness hole
To make the lsx motors run you need: 8 injectors, crank sensor, tps sensor, iac motor, maf sensor, 8 coil packs, coolant temp sensor, 2 knock sensors
By using the factory toyota body harness to ecu connectors i was able to make my car turn key start everything(now im not going to go into detail b/c if i have to tell you how to do this then you shouldnt be attempting this swap)
Now that you have your engine harness done or whatever you feel do with it you need to have the ecu programmed. Tell them what you want removed and what you want to control. The tuner can tune your ecu to turn coolant fans on, cruise control, turn fuel pump on, turn evap/egr stuff off etc
Theres tons of places you can send your ecu to and have it tuned then have shipped back for a decent price
Turn key on, check for leaks and give her a start
Now for the cooling system. The lsx need a cooling system vent tube. I had a bung welded to radiator and ran hose there(reason why i suggested aluminum radiator)
Also relocated upper radiator neck closer to upper water pump outlet

This is just a ruff swap how-to. For more info/question message me on here or add me on facebook for tons of pics of my swap jonah mccoy