RPS Clutch hub spring popping off

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
So my 7MGTE is finaly rebuilt,car is running great, driving down the freeway I pushed in the clutch and the pedal went to the floor. After getting the car back to the shop we pulled the tranny to find out the C-clip that holds the hub in place had popped off. So we reinstaled the C-clip, put a tack weld on each end of the C-clip (in an attempt to try to make it more difficult for it to come off again), instaled the hub and clutch assembly and it worked great. I got about a block from my house, then it let loose again. I have not romped on it at all (becuase I'm still breaking my engine in) and this has happend twice in less then 60 miles. I'm running basicaly stock boost RPS PP, with unsprung 6 puck disc, on an R154. Is there anyone out there who has ran into this issue? If I close the C-clip a little more will this help? I'm at a loss on what to do here. Your feedback is greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like either the clutch hub is incorrectly assembled, or it's worn out from being incorrectly assembled.

This is how it should be assembled:

p1867409_1.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ugh so you're using the thrust bearing destroyer. Honestly, that pressure plate is nothing but trouble.

Outside of that, the clips may have been installed wrong (i.e. stretched too far)

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Thanks for your impute Poodles, but there has to be someone who has been able to make it work. Could I just use the stock pp with that clutch? I'm going to be right around stock hp for a while, I just need it to be reliable as my dd for a couple months.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, you could use a stock pressure plate with that clutch disk. It's going to be harsh though as it's unsprung and a puck clutch...