RPM Flutter on Deceleration

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Hey guys I got a quick question, I have an automatic transmission and when I have been doing freeway drives and come on the off ramp I usually let my car coast for most of the way before stopping at the light. Now my problem is that when it is coasting my RPM's flutter between 1200-1700 and jump back and forth about 5-10 times before deciding to settle at 1200 RPM's. It is usually around the speed 60-40 mph that this happens? Do you guys have any idea what might be causing this? My guess is that its the trany engaging and disengaging so its going in and out of the over drive gear if that makes sense? Thank in advance

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Mine occasionally does this, especially when the A/C is on. When it was under warranty a long long time ago I complained to Toyota. They said nothing wrong could be found. The next step was to push to replace the transmission, but I figured that would do more harm than good in the long run.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ya it also does it with the A/C on, I guess ill just leave it then if it goes out it just gives me a reason to do the swap. Thanks for the info guys.

KJSupra

Feb 10, 2008
So.CA
gurley0916;1365082 said:
Ya it also does it with the A/C on, I guess ill just leave it then if it goes out it just gives me a reason to do the swap. Thanks for the info guys.

Actually my car does exactly the same thing when the A/C is on too! I'd like to know what's causing this as well. I've been looking for answers but nothing has come up...