Rotella T6 5w 40 in 7mgte

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Moved to the proper section.

The Castrol made be available under a different name there, you'd have to bug someone (paging IJ) that would know.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
The guy before me ran 15w50 in it. It' has 140,000 on it so thin oil won't work to well untill it's rebuilt. I just heard of people running 5w 40 in it. I know it's great oil but idk if its great oil in a 7m

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
The 7M was designed for a 5w30 oil. If you do increase the weight you'll essentially be trying to push thicker fluid through the same gaps in the bearings. Not saying that it won't work, but it's not optimal. That being said, over time these gaps get larger from regular engine wear. I won't say putting 5w40 is the right thing to do in a higher mileage engine, but it's something I've done in the past. It's a topic that can be debated back and forth either way. Regardless of whatever you do though, 15w50 is definitely too thick.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zrain25;1897192 said:
The guy before me ran 15w50 in it. It' has 140,000 on it so thin oil won't work to well until it's rebuilt. I just heard of people running 5w 40 in it. I know it's great oil but idk if its great oil in a 7m

If you are referring to GC 3W-30 as a "thin oil", that simply is not true. GC hot viscosity approaches the 40W range. GC is not thin by any means

Zrain25;1897241 said:
So I'm thinking that the 5w 40 will work. If it can take the punishment I put in my truck it should handle the supra.

T6 will work (and work quite well), but not because it works in your truck. It will work because T6 has a fairly low cold viscosity and it's hot viscosity is suitable for the 7M...not because it works in your truck.

Zrain25;1897291 said:
No I thought i could use it because if it runs of off thick 15w 50 it will run off of 5w 40. Be easier for the engine to move the oil around when cold

Your oil choice is sound, but the logic for using it is not...another case of dumb luck choosing an oil ;)

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I understand. I'm not using because it works in my truck. I'm using it because like u said above the low viscosity when cold. And viscosity when warm. That is why I'm using it.

I use to to run rotella 15w40 in my truck. I don't know if u guys have diesels but in the winter they don't like to start. With 15w40 it didn't want to start easy. Switched to synthetic 5w40 and it starts with ease at -10.

5w40 seamed to me that it's the right viscosity for my 7m just trying to get ur thoughts.

After the engine is rebuilt I will be running a thinner oil because the engine will be alot tighter then it is now.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Now you're making a little more sense ;)
I do have a diesel truck and I bet you can guess what oil I use ;) It doesn't get terribly cold in Phoenix, but it does in Flagstaff...my powerstroke is the same cold natured beast you described.

T6 will work great in any of the Supra motors, especially those with higher mileage bearing wear...like yours ;)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
If you're set that you need a thicker oil because of your engine wear, what is your oil psi during cold/hot runs? Your engine might have 140k on it but are the clearances that screwed up that you'd need to step to a thicker oil?

I'm not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why you need the thicker oil.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zrain25;1897537 said:
What year do u have? I like my powerstroke as much as my supra

It's a 2001 7.3L...I really like that motor ;)

IndigoMKII;1897542 said:
If you're set that you need a thicker oil because of your engine wear, what is your oil psi during cold/hot runs? Your engine might have 140k on it but are the clearances that screwed up that you'd need to step to a thicker oil?

I'm not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why you need the thicker oil.

Bearing wear will cause pressure to drop...his psi indications show it. In this case, a slightly thicker oil will provide a better surface to minimize metal-to-metal contact between the bearing and the journal. A 5W-40 is not excessively thick for this motor, a 15W-50 is. It's not going to fix the problem (excessive clearance due to wear or improper build), but it will buy some time. The proper solution is to re-build the engine.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Just talked to previous owner he said the gauge sometimes didn't work. He said its reads great while driveing but at idle sometimes it reads low. I'm gunna test it with a better gauge