Rod knocked Seized block need some help

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
i Sold my 89 NA about 5 months ago it had rod knock i knew. Ended up at a car lot some kid bought it and it started knocking bad. A friend got it cheap and we are planning on making it run again. I knew it was going out soon but we tried to make it too his house didnt make it. got it towed there engine is seized wondering if we can take it out and rebuild the current block? i am not sure what damage is caused by knocking sounded like someone was under the hood beating the engine with a hammer! i would find a new block but i havent seen any around the NC area. anyone thats knows how much damage to block is caused etc pipe in please

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you can't see a hole in the side of the block, you'll have to wait till you pull the motor and take a look ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Look man, it could be anywhere on the parts of the rotating assembly. FUBAR crank journals, bent rod, damaged piston, scored cylinder, etc. To figure out where, you will have to disassemble the engine and go from there. Any other answer is going to be pure speculation...sorry, but that's the way it is.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
JIS motors makes a simple rebuilt 7m if your looking for a cheap rebuild...

might want to check the clearances anyways to be safe if you go this route.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I had a rod let loose, beat the cylinder up, crank, piston, block was useable, had to bore it out, crank was turned. Like Jdub said you have to tear it down and let a shop check it and see wat is useable.

dopeassjackson

Mar 13, 2009
ny
if it needs more than the crank cut, new rods and pistons your almost better off finding a different engine, depending on the price you can get on machine work and the price of parts.

i have a 7mge that was ran with a seized oil pump and its basicly junk. for the price i could buy two used engines.