Rod knock-type noise

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
I started hearing a knocking noise a little while back that sounds like the early stages of rod knock but it goes away when I step on the clutch pedal, then comes back a few seconds after I let it go. Throwout bearing? Flywheel bolt? Anybody?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Just had the same exact thing happen recently. If r154 pull inspection plates off take the clutch fork out and start the car. If you get under there while its running and use a big screwdriver , or pry bar you can activate the throwout hub. If noise still persists its most likely the transmission bearing, which unfortunately means the tranny needs to be rebuilt. Sounds like a tap tap tap tap tap tap tap right?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Yes it is a continuous tap/knocking sound. I don't have to push the clutch pedal all the way in though to make the noise go away, maybe like 2 inches in and the knocking goes away. Anyone else been through this?

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Are you sure? The trans has never seen more than stock boost and these things are supposed to be almost bullet proof. Noise stops when I step on the clutch pedal. If its because it needs to be rebuilt wouldn't it make the knocking/tap noise whether the clutch is engaged or not?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Well i just got done doing my 5 speed swap found a leak and while fixing the issue the tapping arose, i took it to the tranny shop and i was told thats what it was. Now someone else correct me if im wrong but the reason it does not make the noise with the clutch in is because the input shaft is not spinning, or doesn't have a load on it. I just got the car back, and no more tapping at all, Ive come to the conclusion that although bulletproof for the most part things break, and its something stupid, in my case was the bearings. Cost me around 500 bucks to get it fixed. Take it to a tranny shop see what they say.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Mine does the same thing with a new pilot bearing and throw out bearing and stock clutch. But its more of a thud thud thud not a knock knock knock, kinda like a super smallish rodknock but not full on rod knock and it goes away with rpm.

Didnt happen when i first installed the clutch but about 5k later when a tow truck driver burned my clutch(not by choice and ruined my bumper which i had to repaint and replace)

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

For some reason i remember that you can remove the front bearing without total disassembly of the trans. The case would need to come apart but the bearing could come off the front of it. Making it a hour or 2(paid labor hours) worth of work. Maybe 30 min with the proper tools or luck to replace.
DOesnt include removing the trans tho.
That is if i remember right.