Rod knock or noisy head?

SRZMK3

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Oh wow now I kinda want it to be rod knock so I dn look like a dumbass... Lol jk

I blocked of egr.

And ok I'll check for any loose bolts or somethin...

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
that knock should be a lot faster to fit the bill for rod knock at 2100rpms. If you can count the "taps", i doubt its rod knock.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Could it be a valve Lash? Did you measure the valve clearances before putting the shims in.

Thats if you find the sound is coming somewhere underneath the cam covers. My head does that with a rapid constant "tic tic" rattling noise and still does now days (I'm not really confident with valve adjustments) debating if might be a piston slap since the bottom end was bored. So we might be on the same boat. If not check the valves.

From what i remember.. the clearence has to be between 0.15mm-0.25mm on the intake side.
0.20mm-0.30mm on the exhaust side.

That's the clearance range that's given by TSRM.

If that's not it then not really sure other than checking for loose bolts what people just mentioned

Last edited:

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Yep it had to of been rod knock... I was driving it today and the motor seized up on me when I was turning around.

The car just died, full power and just rolled to a stop. When I turn the key, i can hear the starter hit the fly wheel but doesn't even budge. Looks like I am building it after all...

SRZMK3

mk3-4-me;1685346 said:
Yep it had to of been rod knock... I was driving it today and the motor seized up on me when I was turning around.

The car just died, full power and just rolled to a stop. When I turn the key, i can hear the starter hit the fly wheel but doesn't even budge. Looks like I am building it after all...

holy crap that sucks.... the video you posted sounded similar to something i could recognize which wasnt rod knock but the video was kinda deceiving..

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Ya the video was shitty, I took it when it was just starting up. I just gotta see if I can take a title loan out on the supra for like 2 grand, and I should be straight. Cause all my machinig is free, all I need to buy is parts. I just hope my crank is all right.

Last edited:

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
mk3-4-me;1685346 said:

This doesn't sound like rod knock. Rod knock gets painfully loud and then bang ping...you put a rod through the side of the block. Take out all the spark plugs then see if it will turn over. If the engine just locked up without warning then it sounds more like a hydro lock than anything else. You need to figure out what went wrong before you build another engine. You won't learn from your mistakes if you don't understand what happened.

Also, I STRONGLY advise that you do not borrow money to build an engine. Financing fun is always a bad idea.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Well it doesn't matter now. I'll figure out what it was when I take it apart.

And I know I shouldn't take a loan for this kind of stuff, but I have a great payin job and i have 4 years to pay it off. I'll be able to do it in 4 months with some money left for me to spend on other stuff.

I just need to get thus running for summer... Ive gone throuh so much bullshit with it already that I have to get it so I can start driving it for my DD! Lol

There's no metal shavings on my dipstick so idk, I know there could still be some in there but I'll have to wait till I drain it to see.