Rod Knock for the win

so last saturday.im driving to my buddys house.i park.hour later i crank my car.and something started knocking :nono:
open the hood. checked everything right away.oil all fluids its all good !!! idk wtf is knocking :aigo:
i shut it of

10 mins later its knocking so loud that idk what was louder my rod knock or my open down pipe :aigo:

so yea thaught it share that with you on how good of luck i got and i baught it 2 months ago

so now i gotta fix that

my buddy tells me to replace the rod bearing

would that exacly fix this ?

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Well, yeah (assuming it actually is rod knock), but it's not an easy job, you'll need to either pull the engine to do it or drop the subframe and go at it from underneath. Many people, if not most, just do a full rebuild while they're at it, this is a good idea if you can afford it.

But you need to find out why the rod bearing(s) went out. Most likely cause is coolant contaminating the oil due to a BHG. If it's bad enough you will see a "milkshake" under the oil cap. There are other visual signs but a compression test will let you know for sure.

yea im gonna take out the motor. i got a entire gasket set sitting in my garage just waiting 2 b used. lol just hard finding a god damn cherry picker lol.

and i didnt drive it all the time lol.
and ive checked under the cap and there is no milkshake there, so the only way ill know if its my lovely headgasket is when i drain the oil. so im eather gonna be very happy that my gasket didnt go. or ill be very happy 2 be able 2 put in a new headgasket lol.

so ill be recording and ill make a short video of the drain so u can see and hear my expression lol

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
does it always rev that high at idle?

Take a long screw driver and touch the business end of it to different places on the block, head, oil pan, intake, exhaust mani ect. *+BE CAREFUL+* of moving and or hot parts. Watch loose clothing and fans... Put your ear to the handle end of the screw driver. With this method you should be able to narrow down where the noise is coming from, Intake valve, exhaust valve, bearing, rod.... Between this, compression tests, leak down tests, coolant testing and just being there in person you might be able to figure out just what it is before pulling the motor. Good luck.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
thats some supre high idle man LOL i thought it may have been just cold or somethin.. thats not good... make sure the airbypass screw on the throttle body hasnt been tampered with..

also.. iirc therea a way you can tell by pulling one injector clip off at a time.. and seeing what happens

i actually screwed the airbypass screw in. it was screwed with. this car isnt a original 7mgte it used to be a 7mge.
this is the worst swap ive even seen in my life.looks like a alley job ( extremely shity and w.e )
so i wanna take out the motor and fix it and get it done the right way,.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
driftfreak;1527705 said:
so last saturday.im driving to my buddys house.i park.hour later i crank my car.and something started knocking :nono:
open the hood. checked everything right away.oil all fluids its all good !!! idk wtf is knocking :aigo:
i shut it of

10 mins later its knocking so loud that idk what was louder my rod knock or my open down pipe :aigo:

so yea thaught it share that with you on how good of luck i got and i baught it 2 months ago
?

trust me you have no idea what bad luck is when it comes to cars. This problem, while big, is still an 'easy' fix given its just rod knock. there are so many threads on how to help and what to do and what to buy, you're going to have a lot of reading to do ahead of you.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
driftfreak;1530601 said:
thx 4 the headsup but i got nothing but time.and geting a job now.and ill have a 2nd car.so im in absolutely no rush with this

Thats perfect. Definately take ur time man.. it'll be worht it