Rod big end side clearance?

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Just installed rods/pistons and I checked side play of rods big end and found that the one replacement rod (due to extremely spun bearing) measures .016 whereas others are about .011. My machine shop guy was glib enough to say "gee, 4 thou is nothing", but I will check with the re-builders group we belong to and double check the spec. Please note: my crappy Chilton's book give a spec for engines up to 1986, but lists no spec for later years. Mine is an 89 7m gte and want to do it correctly.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Sorry, guess I misplaced that link. Thanks. Specs show 12 thou as limit for rod side clearance and I can pass a 16 thou feeler gauge, so guess my shop either didn't check it or though I wouldn't. Rats! I assume I would be a fool not to tear it down again and make them fix this. Just spoke with my shop. They said to pull the rod in question and measure it with dial caliper then they will get their parts source to measure a bunch of rods tin hopes of finding a fatter one. I guess this will work if they can source a fat one, but they have lost my business.

Last edited:

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
Most generous and yes I will be glad to pay shipping for two, however, the one I need to replace measures 0.975 inches flat side to flat side on the big end and I need one at least 0.980 to achieve proper side play. I know its asking alot on top of free, but could you possibly measure yours and see if any are this wide? I'll gladly pay shipping for any two this size or bigger. What would shipping be to 37033?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I'll measure them and check. Wont be in the garage until Sunday. Flat rate to fit the rods is $11 + 1-2 bucks for paypal fees. I'll get back to you with the measurements.