rheostat/dimmer switch

Ok... I did a search on SM for this and a lot of the posts are over 1 year old.

and no real solution to my problem.

A couple of weeks ago my instrument panel lights went out. Just the ones that turn on to see at night, then i also discovered that the cigarette lighter went out as well. But my Taillights still working too.

My poor son went under the driver side/steering wheel to check the fuses for me. We checked all and replaced all that were out. Didnt fix anything.

Ok I would like a quick fix to override/by pass the problem and have my lights and cigarette lighter back on.

I saw one... two white wires and splice them together...
2nd one.. a circuit breaker reset? which one is that? I am willing to do a reset if i knew which one to reset. That diagram didnt show me where it was located, just how to reset it.

any other suggestions? Plez Thanks...

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
You dont have to cut any wires. All you need is a short length of wire and two male connectors crimped to each end and plug it into the harness side completing the circut. If when you bypass the rheostat all your lights come back its probably your problem, if not its something else. A burnt out dimmer has a bad smell to it. I have two good Rheostats if yours is dead.

update:

well i finally got my hands on a new(used) dimmer. it didnt work when i connected it. i was so ready to pull out my hair.

i know i should go back and check all the fuses to make sure i didnt blow one while the old one was still plugged.

if this fails i am going to try that bypass.

i would like to ask my l.a. neighbors to come by and give me a hand with this. i would grately appreciate the help. and would love meet you and make some friends.

Well....

I had to take in to a mechanic that is here across the street from me.

on the work order: ELECTRICAL SHORT IN EBTIRE SYSTEM

and it cost me $240

The shop sent it out to have the electrical worked on. Well now everything works... yea!!!

I tried everything i could to get it to work... but in the end i just had to take my car in.

I had gotten a ticket in the beginning of the month for no tail lights while driving at night. So now that i got it all fixed now i have to take it to CHP office to get the ticket signed off as corrected. I still got stuck paying the bail amount $164. I was not happy when I got the letter from the court. It totally sucks!!!

QUESTION FOR SITE EXPERTS TOO:

I got the lights all fixed. And I took the car down to the CHP to get the ticket signed off. But the officer who checked it out said that my tails were still to dark to really see the lights.

My question to site experts...

My 89+ tails are JDM and not the Orangey looking ones. How can they be too dark? They are still red right?

Well are there any blubs that shine brighter than the standard replacement ones 1156(?) and 1157(?) Please I would like suggestions on whats out there to make them brighter and wont get another ticket....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, you could have low voltage on them. Corrosion, bad wiring, stuff like that. As for brighter you could go LED. I'm not talking about the multi-led junk most places sell either. I'm talking about the latest singles from Cree, Seoul Semiconductor, or Luxeon. That's what I have in one of my cars and they were so bright I had to turn them down. Installation would require a bit of custom work though.

Btw what's a EBTIRE electrical system?;)

jetjock;1265510 said:
Well, you could have low voltage on them. Corrosion, bad wiring, stuff like that. As for brighter you could go LED. I'm not talking about the multi-led junk most places sell either. I'm talking about the latest singles from Cree, Seoul Semiconductor, or Luxeon. That's what I have in one of my cars and they were so bright I had to turn them down. Installation would require a bit of custom work though.

Btw what's a EBTIRE electrical system?;)

Thanks! for advice. Before I sent it to mechanic I cleaned out the bulb holders with a wire brush and i even brushed the bulbs...

I was thinking LEDs too but whats wrong with the multi-leds?

And I have no clue about the EBTIRE electrical system? thats what the estimate receipt said as to what the problem was. I thought maybe the Site experts would know...lol....

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
B is next to N on the keyboard, so its a typo. Unlikely, but check your JDM tails for mold and mildew. Light does not project well through that.

PRpimp3o3

da puerto rican supra man
Apr 2, 2005
CO
check the grounds as well because a weak or corroded ground can cause some really dim lights