Retorque Head Before Lex/550S/NEO?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I am going to be installing a Lex AFM, RC 550's and a NEO in the near future and I don't know if I should retorque (check) the head or not.

The PO installed an ATK crate motor in June 2008 and I aquired the car in Janurary 2010. It runs great and has several BPUs, runs ~12psi at WOT in 1st and 2nd, and creeps to fuel cut in 3rd. The motor has about 20k miles on it.

I called ATK and they told me that when they build their crate motors they take into account all Toyota service bullitens but they didnt know if it has a MHG or what torque the head was torqued to.

I though I remembered reading that Toyota revised the torque spec some years later but it was still too low...

I have researched the topic on SM and SF and get mixed signals, some say don't mess with it since you might mess up the seal, others say just do it one bolt at a time (1/8 turn loosen then retorque straight to 72 ft-lb) and worst case it doesn't improve anything but it wont make it worse.

I figure before I start pushing the power up I should retorque it to be safe

I figure there will be mixed signals here again but I wanted to see if y'all had any input, advice, experiences, etc.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
I don't see how it could hurt anything. As long as you do it in small increments, one at a time, I can't see the head lifting enough to hurt your gasket whether it's mls or composite.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I would retorque it. You can visually tell what kind of HG it is. I would bet being a crate engine it's a composite HG.