resuming 7MGTE swap after 12 months and a move... now questions

89turborunner

Dec 18, 2007
oregon
Hey guys. 89 turbo 7M, all stock except air/coolant plumbing, resides in an 88 4runner. Removed- Charcoal can (I will get a vented gas cap), EGR (in the way of firewall), of course EGR VSV is also removed, and blockoff plates were fabricated and installed. I was working about 300 miles from my project for about 1 year, and now I am trying to resume it with some difficulty.

I have consulted the search function here and my TSRM (I have the engine only volume, no wiring diagrams) to answer most of my questions, and searching has left me a little in the dark on these items: (Note: Pictures PRECEDE the questions they are related to)

p860759_1.jpg

Wiring on the coolant housing:
A is cold start injector timer
B is BVSV for charcoal can (gone)
C is coolant to turbo
D is Engine coolant temp sensor (for TCCS), green plug goes to this, broken
E is ?
F is Temp sending unit (for gauge)
G is ?

Question 1/2: What are E and G? Wire color for one of them?

Question 3: Where does the vacuum line on the bottom of the accordion hose go? ANS: P/S, now to be capped since I do not have stock P/S. Thanks Cryoslash

Question 4: With EGR deleted, vacuum line goes: manifold--->FPR VSV-----> FPR, correct?

p860759_2.jpg

Question 5: Mystery plug (battery area under a supra hood :)). Any info appreciated. Wire colors: Blk/red, blk/org, blk/yel, blu/wht, wht/brn (last wire has a stripes of brown that are radial, not linear)

Last edited:

89turborunner

Dec 18, 2007
oregon
In case anyone forgot the project... here are a few old pics:

p860767_1.jpg

Custom hybrid tranny

p860767_2.jpg

First rebuild I have done

p860767_3.jpg

Old pic, half done (yes, the fenders are now cut way above the tires). Garage look different? This is after the move.
p860767_4.jpg

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
just out of curiosity... i saw this pic and the thing circled i have it but its not plugged into anything. what is it?

p860964_1.jpg

Last edited:

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
almost 100% sure you can't run the AFM right before the TB, it throws off the computers readings i think; or everybody would do that and just run a regular BOV vented to the atmosphere

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Question 3 = Power steering idle up. You can simply block it off. I had mine burnt by the exhaust manifold, and couldn't figure out my vacuum leak, but nothing was irregular, just i heard the leak.
So yeah i'll answer more upon further review.

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
well if thats for the o2 sensor and the ECU uses it for the AFR's and its not plugged in.. how would the engine know what kinda oxygen content was in the exhaust

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
Question 6: its best to run our maf in the stock location. DO NOT PUT THE BOV PRETURBO! That completely defeats the purpose. The closer to the throttle body the better.

89turborunner

Dec 18, 2007
oregon
robbo185 said:
Question 6: its best to run our maf in the stock location. DO NOT PUT THE BOV PRETURBO! That completely defeats the purpose. The closer to the throttle body the better.

The arrow is showing air flow from the BOV, as an optional recirculation (since it is not required with this setup). THe BOV pipe in the pic is connected to the last bend before the TB.

Original post edited, Conclusions thus far: No post turbo AFM, accordion hose vaccum is P/S (I don't have this kind of PS), so it will be capped.

Thanks guys, original post edited.

89turborunner

Dec 18, 2007
oregon
CryoSlash said:
Mystery wire, might be for the fans? Not 100 percent on that one.

A/C fans? I do not have A/C. I am converting to an electric fan though. I would REALLY like to use stock stuff on the motor to operate my relay... I am broke right now and don't want to spend $33 on a darn fan switch.

Other info- I have no A/C system at all, and I have nothing left of the stock P/S system either.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
jon_570 said:
but my car runs fine...
With no O2 sensor? Well, I suppose that it will, the O2 sensor is used by the TCCS to alter the fuel maps in both long and short term modes. Without it, it has to assume that the factory maps are correct, but it will probbaly correct to max rich, just to be on the safe side. This is bad for both power and fuel economy, but it'll run, and reasonably well, assuming that both the AFM and TPS are working properly.

At idle and WOT the O2 sensor is ignored by the ECU anyway. These are "open loop" modes, where there is no feedback to the ECU.

In closed loop mode, the ECU learns what the actual fuel mixture is, and starts to adjust its long term program, which it then adapts for WOT processing.

However, no O2 sensor should be throwing codes, and lighting the CEL. It'll run still, but it's not a good idea.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
89turborunner said:
A/C fans? I do not have A/C. I am converting to an electric fan though. I would REALLY like to use stock stuff on the motor to operate my relay... I am broke right now and don't want to spend $33 on a darn fan switch.

Other info- I have no A/C system at all, and I have nothing left of the stock P/S system either.
I meant the stock electric fans on the rad. the aux fans.

89turborunner

Dec 18, 2007
oregon
LEft side (called TSRM), is my attempt to represent the vacuum/fuel diagram on mage FI-3 in the TSRM. It shows two vacuum ports, but the VSV really has 3. This is for the fuel pressure regulator VSV. AFter some digging I found this other thread...

p862158_1.jpg

From the sketches here, it looks like the vacuum port to the right (right side of sketch) is supposed to be open to the atmosphere, but with some kind of filter on it?
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128&page=2

So what piece is my VSV missing? or is it?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
You're missing a puck-shaped filter

Looks like a awesome project! You're still gonna be 4WD with that custom tranny?