Replacing valve shims

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
So my valve tick is quite loud now I am noticing it more ever since I got my cat back installed, no more open down pipe lol. From what I have gathered I check clearances with a feeler gauge with the cam lobes pointing straight up and if they are out of spec I pop them out with a screwdriver and magnet and get replacements at the dealer then put them in and crank the engine for 10 seconds to seat the shims apparently oil pressure won't build up enough to spray oil everywhere and re-check clearances. I want to be sure this is correct and I do not have the time to remove my cams and don't have the tools to pop out the shims and check the thickness and apparently I do not have to do that I can do what I said above and use a feeler gauge while everything is installed. I saw a video by Numba1stunna on how to check clearances and he's helped me a great deal when I did my head gasket replacement he seems to know his stuff quite well my car still running over a year later is a testament to that lol.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Why can't you take the cams out? If you've gone far enough to take the valve covers off, the cams are just a few more bolts away. Loosen the timing belt and remove the cam caps according to the TSRM.

I've heard that you need to add .001+ to the shim thickness as the new shim will seat in the bucket after a few miles. Do you remember what they say about short cuts?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
True, I was hoping it wouldn't matter in this case since I am just replacing the shims but I'll get it re-timed afterwards and buy a torque wrench for the caps but am I right with my idea of checking clearances and if they are out of spec I just get new ones from the dealer and drop them in? Also what about cranking the engine while everything is apart then re-check clearances is that okay to do?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I remember reading that thread too how can I add a little more thickness to the new shims or do I tell them at the dealer to get shims that are XX mm thicker? Also should I just go ahead and replace all the shims even if they are in spec?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Measure the shim thickness that you need then add .001-.002 to that thickness.

So if you need a shim that is .010 thick just order a shim that is .012 thick.

I would only replace the shims that are out of spec, you can replace them all as they aren't that expensive but it's more time consuming.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
The shims are all different thicknesses so even if you order new ones you will have to know how thick they need to be and every one will probably be a different thickness

If I am following you is sounds as if you are under the impression that all new shims are the same correct thickness and you need to replace them if they are worn.... However this is not the case

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I rather get them all done so everything operates relatively the same if that makes any sense. Like I rather replace them all so every valve opens and closes the same instead of the more worn shims don't open the valves as much as the new ones. Know where I can order the shims online or is it best to get them from the dealer?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Yes but you will need to determine how thick of shims you need (thickness of current shim) +(whatever you need to bring it in spec)=thickness of shim you will need to buy for that valve

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I just went to a yamaha dealer and they exchanged the ones I need for the ones I had free of charge. There is an excel worksheet floating around here that came in handy when I measured my shims.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
suprasick;1983801 said:
I just went to a yamaha dealer and they exchanged the ones I need for the ones I had free of charge. There is an excel worksheet floating around here that came in handy when I measured my shims.

This works if you have one in hand, I believe someone here tried that and got 23mm shims instead of 25mm. Don't quote me on the numbers, they're used as an example and probably aren't the correct sizes.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Is the feeler gauge method incorrect or not as accurate as using a micrometer and removing the shim? Seems like it's the same concept.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The couple of 7Ms I've had a part all had worn cam bearings that get looser the farther you go from the front oil feed. Trying to adjust your valve clearances when you have 6-10 mil slop in the bearings is a pointless exercise in frustration. First step should always be to plastigauge your cam bearings.