replacing parking brake?

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Hey wat up peeps.. So my parking brake is almost to the metal and i need to replace it, I ordered some Centric e-brake shoes part 111.08510 and i don't know if i need the new hardware to do the job. I have read somewhere saying that the parking brake shoes will last a life time and will not need replacing depending on the abuse given to the shoes. So in that case is it necessary to buy all new hardware or just use the old ones? if i need to buy new hardware where can i buy them other than the stealership? How hard is it to replace them?

Sorry for all those questions, i will gladly appreciate any help..Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can reuse the hardware. That's not an issue.

The parking brake shoes are very small to begin with and even close to metal they will still last for a long time. They just hold the car so it doesn't move. No braking done with them.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Do yourself a favor buy new hardware. Ask yourself "Do I want to mess around with 20+ year old clips and springs?" Also make shure you get all 4 shoes, I know Toyota sells them all seperately. And as a side note park brakes do wear out eventually, the primary shoe (the ones that face the front of the car) receive a self energizeing effect from the drum.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
mine were all metal to metal except one and it had like 1mm of material left on it i got new shoes from rockauto for like 20 bucks and was told mkiv hardware should work not sure yet as i haven't pulled the brakes again but unless you do it all separate at toyota there is no aftermarket hardware kit for the mkiii

plus one of the springs broke or something on the passenger side so sometimes when i hit bumps i hear this clanking metal (the bare shoe hitting the rotor as it flops around lol its annoying and i'll get to it)

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Hardware kit shouldnt be too much... (its just springs and pins and clips) Unless the adjsuter broke or the star wheel is completely rounded off and not staying in place. Best go in person and ask if there is a kit other wise just order the spings, pins and the horse shoe clips.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Man i wish some aftermarket company made these...Yes i did get all 4 shoes. You think i can get away from just buying these from toyota circled in red? or which else should i get?
p1866126_1.gif

Just for those parts circled are 38.30 in my local dealer

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Get 47611 the horse shoe clip at the top.

The pins on the left you don't need unless there messed up.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
you mean 47611A right? Anything else I'm missing? How difficult is it to replace the shoes? ( I have never done these type of brakes before)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
15$ on average a parking brake hardware kit from local parts stores. from what i can tell you get all of the stuff in the picture as well

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^god dam I hate toyota canada....

I think my replacement hardware was $96(hats/pins/springs - all of it).... and $120/side cables....

my thought was if I want to drive it for 10+ years these parts will only get harder to find...

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
actually i bought the mkiv kit as the shoes were the same so hoping the hardware or at least most of it was too

i haven't installed it yet but hoping to soon, i already had the brakes off and couldn't get a hardware kit at the time so just kind of a pain to take them off again but will hopefully soon