Replacing A/C compressor clutch

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Has anyone done this on our cars? Can I do this in the car? My clutch is barely staying engaged and is starting to make a littlbe bit of noise. I would rather just replace the clutch, If I can do that on the car without removing the whole compressor. I looked on tsrm and it shows them using SST of course, but I was wondering if anyone has used other tools to remove theirs.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Stu

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
redhot91gt;1354411 said:
Has anyone done this on our cars? Can I do this in the car? My clutch is barely staying engaged and is starting to make a littlbe bit of noise. I would rather just replace the clutch, If I can do that on the car without removing the whole compressor. I looked on tsrm and it shows them using SST of course, but I was wondering if anyone has used other tools to remove theirs.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Stu

I have a compressor that I can sell to you for a reasonable price. It really would be impossible because the clutch is pretty much inside the compressor. I had to remove alot to take out the compressor so if you end up being able to take out the clutch without removing much then thats one hell of a feat.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
You can replace the front part of the clutch while its on the car but its very difficult to take the pulley off, its much easier to just to take it out. I have taken the compressors in and out of both of my cars many times, it wasn't that hard for me.

The clutch has two parts, the part right in front, and the pulley. You will really need to pull the compressor out to pull the pulley off. You will need to put the compressor pulley down and tap the back of it untill it pops off.

The noise you are hearing may be the bearing, or the stator. On my 86 the bearing was toast!! It was making all kinds of scraping noises, replaced the bearing and it went away. Then on my 87, the stator went up, so I replaced it and now it works. Good luck!