Replacement starter grinding...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The original JDM starter on my 1JZ MKIII died last fall and I rebuilt my old 7M starter and put it on (new solenoid contacts, checked the comm and brushes, cleaned and regreased gear drive) and even though the bendix and slide bushings are clean and have fresh light weight synthetic grease on them the thing is grinding on the first try, then it starts normally on the second try. When I take it off and operate it off the car, the drive gear pops out and moves freely. Put it back in, and first try it grinds, second try it starts, just the same. I don't see anything wrong with the flywheel ring gear.

This isn't my first starter rebuild, more like my 50th, so this is frustrating me that the first time I run into this issue is on my own car.

BTW, the old starter didn't grind, it just started cranking slow intermittently so I junked it since it was the sealed solenoid type. I figured the solenoid contacts were shot and weren't passing current. The car already has the starter relay upgrade done.

Anyone have any ideas before I buy another starter to try? I hate returning things, or worse, being stuck with parts I don't need.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Starter relay isn't an upgrade ;)

Anyway, I assume you've checked the teeth on the starter gear? If they're flattened it's going to have a hard time meshing with the flywheel. Other than that it could be the solenoid is either worn out or the plunger is sticking.