Removing tranny, changing clutch/FW...

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
okay, just picked up my Supra this past weekend from NC, anywho on the way home the clutch finally gave out and i trailored her the rest of the way. Now, i ordered an XTD stage 3 clutch kit with 11 lb flywheel. Now, i have searched and have found some answers, but would like a few more answered direct....
i know that you should replace the tranny seal (called the "front bearing retainer oil seal" on TSRM online) so i ordered that from HPF along with the drain/fill plug seals. i also read that you need to replace the front seal? now, my question is, does that mean the front main oil seal or the one on the tranny? TSRM shows a seal called the "extension housing oil seal" is that the one i need to replace? if it is, then where can i buy it from and/or is it the same as the "front bearing retainer oil seal" that i bought from HPF? also, one more question, since our Supras are so old, can we still get OEM pieces from the local Toyota dealership?
thanks

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The only seals that are envolved generally if pulling out the tranny is the front seal (inside the bearing retainer) and the rear seal (tail shaft housing) where the driveshaft goes in at. also at the same time, its a good idea to change out the rear main seal on the motor.

Front
tranny front.JPG

Rear
tranny rear.JPG

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
so i should replace the rear main seal on the motor while the tranny is out? i am not pulling the motor, just installing a new clutch/FW. Now, can i get the seals you circled above at a Toyota dealership and are those the part numbers i should ask for... 33131A (front bearing retainer seal) and 33103R (extension housing oil seal)? also, HPF sells a rear main oil seal for like $33, is that the seal you were talking about?
thanks.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
bump for answers to above questions and these.... TSRM shows a seal called the "extension housing oil seal" is that the one i need to replace? if it is, then where can i buy it from and/or is it the same as the "front bearing retainer oil seal" that i bought from HPF? also, one more question, since our Supras are so old, can we still get OEM pieces from the local Toyota dealership?
thanks in advance

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ok, I am assuming that the tranny in question is a R154 (turbo supra) tranny.

The toyota OEM numbers for the seals are as followes:

Trans front (bearing retainer) = 9031132012
Trans rear (extension housing/tailshaft housing) = 9031140001

The numbers on the drawings in the post above are just classification numbers. The bold numbers that I just listed are the actual toyota part numbers.

As for the rear main seal, Its a good idea to change it when you have the tranny out. Its easily acessable with the flywheel off. IMO, not worth $33, you can get it from a local auto parts store for about half that price. I have used Fel-Pro seals with great sucess. Fel-Pro gaskets and seals are avalible at Advance Auto Parts. The Fel-Pro number is BS403451.

You can still get Toyota OEM parts from a local dealer. A lot of them will have to be ordered in, but yes still avalible.