Removal/Alignment of Headlight Cover

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a headlight cover off a guy on ebay because my original one has some paint damage to it. It is the same color as my Supra and he says the paint is in good shape so it may be worth the risk of seeing how well it will actually match before paying someone to try and match the paint on a 27 year old car. I have a few questions about the replacement of the cover though.

How hard is it to take only the headlight cover off without removing the entire assembly? Do I need to take off the fender or anything like that to get to a bolt or they all easily accessible?

I know there are the four screws, two on each side, I am just wondering if that is all that is holding the cover on.

Also, how difficult is it to align the headlight cover if you take it off and replace it with another? I assume you just use the four screws previously mentioned, but I just want to make sure that if I take it off I will be able to get it back to factory looking.

Thanks in advance!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's just the 4 screws.

Screw it down lightly close head light. Move into position raise head light and tighten.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1992232 said:
It's just the 4 screws.

Screw it down lightly close head light. Move into position raise head light and tighten.

Thanks! That's a good method, I will definitely do it that way if I do replace it. Now I just need to buy the headlight cover and hope that it matches. I really hope it does...

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well the seller says the cover came off an 88 so it would be the same silver as my car, and he also says it has not been repainted. I am having doubts about the second part. There is a strange line on the paint, where it looks like new paint and there are not rock chips or anything either which make me skeptical. If it has been repainted I doubt it would actually match my car well.

Should I just save the money on this and put it towards having the cover repainted by a reputable shop and blended? I plan to have my bumper covers painted in the future as well because they are starting to fade. Thanks for any input.

Here's the only picture the seller has. You can see the line I am talking about on the part where it bends down and meets the black shroud.

Here's the listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251134628430

Thanks for any input.