Reliable source

E

enertia4

Hey everyone, after taking more than my share of time deciding on a project car, I have chosen an MKIII supra since they're relatively low cost for entry and are RWD Toyotas (I'm a lean manufacturing disciple). Me likey Toyotas!
Anyway, my question is this: After I buy an mk3 w/ a good body, I think it would be wise to replace the high mileage engine. Is this a good idea or should I just try and do a rebuild? And if I should buy a used jdm 7m-gte, could someone recommend a reliable jdm engine importer? I don't want to get hosed.
Thanks for your time, I'm looking forward to this project.

evildoer

Apr 4, 2005
Augusta, Georgia
hey guess ill get this started for you in my mind a well built rebuilt is the way to go why spend the money on a additional engine if it isnt nescesary. a rebuilt engine rebuilt properly with arp main,rod,and head bolts/studs and a metal headgasket is the way to go now heres the problem with a rebuilt engine, the person that rebuilds the engine has to know what the f@ck they are doing or you will have problems real quick. Ask around find a reputable machine shop. that has worked on import engines the tolerances are alot diffent then domestic. Now onto the jdm motor a jdm motor has its + and -.
One a cheap drop in motor for 700-1000 you can have a fully built motor ready to go i would still still have it serviced before dropping it in esp wit a metal headgasket and head bolts/studs because you will learn the is the main prob with the 7m it came from the factory with a low torgue on them bolts.
and the stock headgasket likes to fail. problems wit a jdm. One you are buying a used engine that you dont know what hell its been thru. Two i think
emmisions can be a problem since the motor was imported from japan and dosnt have the emmison control like we have here in the states. Well i hope this has helped you heres a few links for jdm motors peace
http://www.jarcoinc.com/
http://www.jdmsource.ca/

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
I chose to buy a JDM engine and used it as a core for a rebuild. Because it's a low mileage engine you can reuse most of the parts you end up replacing with a high mileage rebuild. I paid less for a JDM engine than the cost of 6 pistons and 2 cams from Toyota. I ended up paying less and could drive my supra while I was building the engine.

There are a few small differences between the JDM and USDM engines but everything from my USDM engine swapped over. I've had no problems getting this car to pass smog in California, so emissions shouldn't be a problem in any other state. Regardless of which route you chose do yourself a favor and install studs for the stupid starter while the engine and transmission are out of the car. It's a pain in the ass to get that top bolt in correctly. If you just had to slide the starter over a set of studs and tighten down the nuts it would make life much easier.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
enertia4 said:
...And if I should buy a used jdm 7m-gte, could someone recommend a reliable jdm engine importer?...
As far as that goes, many seem to like JARCO.
One of my friends tells me that he can get JDM engines for $700 in his area (New Jersey) from another source as well.

btw, I am just wondering why you want to change the engine though.
Is it showing signs of wear? or do you just think that the miles are high, and for that reason? How many miles does it have?

The first thing that goes on these motors is usually the head gasket as you probably know. However, there are members that have 170 & 200 Kmis on their car WITH the original head gasket, & have still not blown it.