Reinstalled TPS now won't go over 2k RPM??

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, I had codes 41 and51 so they are both related to the TPS. So I decided to take it off and check everything out. When I took it off it was a little loose for some reason. I reinstalled it and it looks like there are 2 tabs that the 2 tabs on the TB fit into. I just put it all back together and now I have no more code 51 just 41.

The car revs to 1700 rpms then falls to 1000 rpms and it keeps doing it pretty fast. The car will not rev over 2k rpms. Did I install the TPS wrong?

Thanks
Ryan

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
that's what I've been trying to do, no matter what I do it won't go over 2k. I'm going to take it off and try it again.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok reinstalled TPS and now it is just like before with out code 51. I just keep getting a code 41, if I adjust it too much code 51 comes back. Need some help. I've taken it off and put it back on and did at least 20 adjustments.

Can't get rid of this code 41

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
frontierguy25;1386465 said:
now I have no more code 51

That's your problem right there. You should always get a 51 with the pedal depressed in diag mode. You aren't because IDL is staying closed. When the IDL contact remains closed and the throttle opened the ECU will enter rpm cut. In addition when VTA exceeds 1.5 volts with IDL grounded a 41 will be set.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
jetjock;1386521 said:
That's your problem right there. You should always get a 51 with the pedal depressed in diag mode. You aren't because IDL is staying closed. When the IDL contact remains closed and the throttle opened the ECU will enter rpm cut. In addition when VTA exceeds 1.5 volts with IDL grounded a 41 will be set.

Thanks for the reply. So how do I fix this then? I tried adjusting the darn thing a several times. But the only time that I found that I had this code was after I put my car back together and installed my zeitronix wideband that reads TPS through the VTA (I think that's it) wire. So maybe I need to check that as well. The car now runs fine with out the 51 and it idles great and I don't get a hesitation anymore at lower rpms.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Ive had many problems with the tps, dont rule out the possibility you might need a new one (I did). Even when I had the new TPS I had to take it and the throttle body to a friends dad that is a good electrician and was able to adjust it correctly. But in your case I would try to find an electrician that can adjust it the right way.... Go to the TSRM like mentioned before and Print that page out for show...http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Good Luck, I am sure you will get that thing adjusted soon...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Thanks, I'm going to swap it out with another one that I have if I can find it today. I've adjusted them before many times and never had this problem. The only thing that I could think of was my wiring harness because I would also get a code 14 and when I removed my glove box it wouldn't throw the code any more, when I reinstalled it, the code was back. I wired in the wideband to read tps so maybe that's it? I have the glove box out right now and I'm going to check the wiring.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Ah, well then just retrace your steps before you got the code and the problem lol... Inspect the wiring carefully, I have fixed most of my codes just by inspecting and fixing the harness.. For example, my car was having a hard time starting in the morning or when cold... I was sure I need to A. Get my cold start injector cleaned or B. get a new or other working cold start injector...... Neither, the ecu temp sensor wire was completely disconnected deep inside the heat shield..... Fixed it right up and now my car starts the 1st time every time..... :)

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I've never had a problem with this before I took it all apart. I have a brand new engine harness, that I have not had a problem with. I think that it's the wiring for the wideband.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
keep me posted! I still think its the zex or the wiring to/from it.

sidenote: scratch the timing light, i picked up a digi one :D

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ken, yes that was what it was doing, when I reinstalled it the first time. I put it on the tabs wrong. I reinstalled it a second time and now it's great. I wiggled the wiring harness a little bit and the code is now gone. So I will take out wiring harness and see what happened to the connection. It should be fine, since they were soldered and wrapped. But I'll check everything again.

But right now the car is pulling harder down low and not missing any more. Just have to do the mod that Tekedus did for the dash pot and I'll be good.

Installed my boost controller and tunned to 15psi and still running rich a bit so a little more tunning and I'll be ready to hit the track.

Dean, You were right! I still can't get a hold of my friend with the light and it's pissing me off!!