rebuilt engine, now problems. HELP!

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
ok, i just finished putting in my rebuilt 7MGE in my 88, im preaty sure ive got all the vacume hoses where they go and all the wiring plugs except one, you'll see it in the pics but i have no clue where it goes. as for the engine, it starts great but idles very low and bounces off 400 rpm's until it stalls, but when i can keep it running at 800, then its fine, but im also getting codes 51 and 52, 51 is for the AC, and 52 is the knock sensor. my original knock sensor broke so i got one off a MKII but i guess its no good also.
i took my car around the block and it seemed to run ok, but if i let of the gas at all, it would stall quickly. and the engine light would come on and off.
I'm also going to check for a vacume leek around the intake with some starter fluid, maybe thats giving me the low idle.

Please look at the plug and any ideas on where it goes, and any other help is appreciated.

Im very bumbed, please help, ......Thanks, -Brian

im bumbed!
http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7297&stc=1&d=1149273681
this is the area of the plug.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7299&stc=1&d=1149273737
closer pic.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7300&stc=1&d=1149273777
up close.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7301&stc=1&d=1149273789

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 83

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
I don't think that plug is the knock sensor wire, but I am not positive when it comes to N/A's.

Look at my sig to to figure out what is causing the code 51 and how to fix it...

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
i know that plug is not for the knock sensor, the knock sensor is pluged in, even though its not working. but theres no other pulg around it and it makes no sence to where it could go. But some good news, i figured out some of my problems on how it was running, i missed one intake vacume hose, and i didn't have the EGR bolts on the intake tigth enough. so now it runs and idles fine and is drivable, just with no power cause of the knock sensor.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
so do u still want to know what that plug is for? i can go look and see where mine is hooked... i'm doing a BHG job and should be able to get in there really well to see.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
that plug is nothing
it is for i think the cali version with Egr, the cali supra's had a EGR with a sensor.

one more thing you need to find a new knock sensor, look for the knock sensor re-wiring for a sturdier connection.
if it is the wire, it is a good time to do the re-wiring, if it is the knock sensor it self get a new one. it is why you stalling.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well unless u really want a pic of what it's plugged into...i'm not going to take it. i am going out now to look and see if i have it though.

and on a side note...

my car was in washington shortly before i bought it... so would it have the EGR? i need to research what that does. hear about it alot but never looked into it.

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
ok fine by me, yeah there seems to be no problems with how its running, it just looked like it was pluged in befor. but as for the knock sensor im going to try and test the sensor and if it good then ill get the re-wire kit from Shafe(i think)

thanks for all your help!! -Brian

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i just found out that i'm in Cali but have a non-cali supra...nice! it's funny cause it passed smog even without one of the cat's ;) !

I might as well take advantage of this and install a test pipe...

I looked at mine and it has no connector...mine's a 1986.5 and not a cali with emmissions stuff so there isn't anything there like yours.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
EGR vavle stands for exhaust gas recirculation valve.
EGR is for emission purpose.

i don't kno what is the washington emission laws so you can choose to remove it or leave it on.
if you remove it ask some board member that live in washington if it is legal to remove.

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
Well i just got back from a 5 hour drive to -Rich87Tx2 house for a good knock sensor, and a few pointers. we put the sensor in, checked codes, now only 51. this is good! my knock sensor WAS bad. so then Rich worked his magic on my TPS adjustment for the code 51. now thats taken care of, no codes!!! engine is VERY strong, especially right after a rebuild. car has never been better.

Rich is a very good guy, very helpful, and his car is AWESOME!! :love: im very jealous. THANK YOU!

i cant wait until the chigao meet, he promised me a ride in his car:naughty:

-Brian

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
supra88boy said:
Rich is a very good guy, very helpful, and his car is AWESOME!! :love: im very jealous. THANK YOU!

i cant wait until the chigao meet, he promised me a ride in his car:naughty:

-Brian

Glad I could help.

And we're going to dyno it there. In a way I'm glad you didn't ride because last night we started to wake it up. If you think it torqued up the other night, you're going to :aigo: when you see it go now. :icon_bigg