"Rebuilt" Block that I got in a deal. Just have a couple questions

boost88t

Aug 13, 2011
Idaho
Let me start out by saying that I have owned a few Supra's in the past and am just now getting back into it. The deepest I've ever gotten into one was a basic bhg fix. I'm looking for tips and tricks to doing this and I've read the stickies so I'm pretty familiar with all of that stuff.

I recently ended up with a rebuilt block out of a trade and I am curious if I pull it apart to check everything out is there anything that could get damaged just from disassembling and are there any certain things that I should be on the look out for? Is there anything that will need to be changed after pulling it apart? So far what I know just from looking at is is: .040 over cast pistons, new rods, reman crank, arp hardware, block decked, bored .040 and honed (obviously,) and new freeze plugs. Let me know what you guys think. I know that I'd like to give this thing a once over so I don't toast it when I turn the key.

boost88t

Aug 13, 2011
Idaho
Well fellas... I went with my gut as well as observation that things on the outside of the block were put together screwy. I pulled it all apart today after work. Glad I did!!!uploadfromtaptalk1340247436224.jpguploadfromtaptalk1340247498346.jpg Piston #4 the middle ring broken and shoved the groove up making the top ring stuck in its groove. Now... How the Hell do I get a new piston from the same manufacture? Can I get just 1 piston or should I go ahead and get forged pistons? These pistons are .040 over and if I get forged pistons will I need to have it machined again? Sorry for the long list of questions here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Depending on the manufacturer you should be able to purchase one piston. As far as forged or not if you intend to get some power out of the motor go forged now, that way your motor will be ready for power when you are. As far a forged your options are very good, je, wiseco, ross. if you want to completely build it you can get rods as well such as eagle, crowers etc. Id run stock gte rods and get the shotpeened and polished. Good Luck!