Rebuilding your own locks

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I know I’m not the first person to have one of my door locks freeze up on me or get so bad that you can’t even get the key in. This is just a basic cleaning and lube of your door locks. If you get really ambitious you could try and find new parts but I have yet to do so. I am NOT a certified locksmith or a professional at this, but I have done it to my Supra several times (drive it in the winter and they get jammed up every year).

What you’ll need to rebuild the lock:
A small flathead screwdriver
Some sandpaper. I usually use a 400 grit or so.
Lubricant (I don’t know what’s best, recently I used “white lithium grease” and it appears to be working fine.
The key that goes with this lock

What you’ll need to remove the door pane:
10mm wrench
Phillips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver

First remove the speaker cover and the lock bezel (in green) they don’t have any screws
Then remove all of the screws outlined in red (I think I got them all)
To remove the handle you first have to remove the soft plugs, and the 2 screws at the very front (right of the picture) have plastic covers you have to pop off). Also remove the courtesy light (lower left)

To remove the panel pull on the bottom carefully. There are 2 clips holding it in place. Once those let loose just slide the whole thing up and off.

To remove the lock you have to unclip the little plastic clip on the metal bar (don’t know technical terms for those parts), then the alarm sensor on the back of the lock (just spread the tabs slightly and pull it off. Be careful the wires for that sensor are attached to a metal bar to keep them out of the windows way. Then remove the 1 10mm bold holding the lock in place. Slide it out and now the fun begins

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Lightly sand (or wire wheel or however you wish to do it) the outside of the cylinder, the inside of the housing, the flapper door if you wish, and each one of the tumblers individually. (lie the sandpaper on the table, place 1 tumbler on it, and slide it around with your finger for a few seconds on each side. Then put the tumbler back where it was.

Once everything is clean you're ready for assembly and lubrication.

Place each one of the tumblers back into the cylinder. You can see that there are springs alternating on each side therefore each tumbler only goes in 1 way.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here’s the tumblers in the cylinder

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now put your key into the cylinder. All of the tumblers should be pushed down and sit flush with the cylinder. If you mixed up the tumblers this is how you’ll know

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now with the key still in the cylinder slide the cylinder into the housing. It will only go in and turn 1 way. Once you have it in there take the key out and leave the cylinder in the housing. Now go to the back of the lock and replace the spring (what makes the lock turn, and then return to it’s original position). Then replace the metal plate with the plastic clip (use my pictures for reference if you need to but it should only go on one way. I think this piece changes from drivers side to passenger side). And finally replace the “E” clip.

Now turn to the front of the lock. Here is where it can get tricky and may take a few tries.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now if you’re doing the drivers side you’ll have to put on the clear plastic ring. I would keep pressure on the lock and put your finger THROUGH the ring (pinky finger?) and then use that finger to press on the lock while sliding the ring into place. Do the same for the outer cover. Once you have everything stacked into place and the outer cover on you can push those small metal tabs back into place. I a) push really hard with a screwdriver both down and in to get it as tight as possible. Or b) use a screwdriver and a small hammer.

Now…you might be wondering “what about the lubrication”. I apply liberally everywhere when putting everything back together. I don’t think you can actually hurt anything unless it gets too close to the little electric led wires or whatever they are. Oh yeah, if you’re little glowing ring works then don’t get too much lube on there as it is clear and it will look goofy. My lithium grease I just used came with a little straw for the end and I shoved that through the flapper door and sprayed until it came out everywhere (AFTER I lubed the inside of the housing, the outside of the cylinder, the tumblers and their little holes and everything else.

Now you can reverse the steps to put it back in.