rebuilding my 7MGE!?

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
So in my younger days i had picked up this 87 7mge for $150.. ran it out of oil within weeks. i know i know not smart on my part. but i was young and dumb, what can i say. now a couple years later ive decided to rebuild the NA motor. currently im taking an engine repair class, so i used that to my advantage and brought my motor to school. took it all apart and realized the true damage that was done. i thru a rod bearing, bent my crank and scoorched my cams. MY QUESTION IS... if there are any differences between the ge and gte cams and crank? can i use the gte cams with their appropriate caps? and also the gte crank with their main caps ? i have a spare gte that i bought, initially to install but got screwed into buying this badd engine harness. i didnt want to buy from a private seller again, so toyota wanted 700 for a new one. my plan is to build the motor up in my garage over the winter to install in the spring. thanks for the feedback guys!!!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
thought about that but i just picked up a 1990 white 7mgte with 73k, a blown hg, stolen gauges, stolen aeromotive afpr, and stolen blowoff!!! my dream! so im going to be selling my 87 as is to get this one going