Rebuilding my 7M-GTE Question

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
so i took apart my head and my headgasket is fine ... cylinder 1 on the block however has water in it... and cylinder 4 has a glob of oil.. and on the cylinder head #5 has stuck valves.. what are your thoughts on this? cracked/warped head? why was water entering the cylinder?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Most likely the water and oil is from taking the head off.

Post a picture of the head gasket head and block.

What was the original reason for bhg and taking head off?

Also can take the head to a reputable machine shop and have them check it out.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
hvyman;1885609 said:
Most likely the water and oil is from taking the head off.

Post a picture of the head gasket head and block.

What was the original reason for bhg and taking head off?

Also can take the head to a reputable machine shop and have them check it out.

ill put the pictures up in a bit the reason why i took it off was because it was using coolent and it had a bad misfire and it was starting to mix oil with water..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, that totally does not look blown to me.

So the next thing to do is check the turbo for cracks, since that's the next most likely place for oil and water to collide. After that, it's cracks in the block or head.

Kevin0393

Oct 29, 2011
PA
how would you test the turbo? someone told me theres a way to bypass something in the turbo

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
Correct me if I wrong but that looks like a cheap fel pro head gasket? If so I would ditch it and get a quality one. Have your head checked for cracks and warpage. The water you see was from pulling your head off as the water jackets in your head. If not that amount of water would have bent every possible thing it could in that cylinder valve, rod ect. I'd start wil getting your head checked, put new hks or similar and arp hardware and see what happens. Get your problem resolved on your stuck valve too I've never seen that before on a ohc motor and quite frankly I don't see how it could be stuck without serious damage to your head. If you still have problems after that check the turbo like stated above as that's the only other source I can think of beside a crack in your cylinder wall to get that kind of result.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Also, apply pressure to water in the cooling jacket, and see if any comes out the oil drain. Apply pressure to oil in the oil passages, see if any gets into the cooling jacket.

For the head gasket, a metal head gasket is better, provided that you get the machine work done to support it. A metal head gasket without machining the block is a blown head gasket. (Maybe not 100% guaranteed, but close enough.) A composite gasket, like the fel-pro or Toyota OEM with decent clamping force is good. I ran 1-18 PSI on a 60-1 turbo to a stock Toyota head gasket with ARP studs torqued to 90 ft-lbs without a problem... Until the rod knock that started because I didn't replace the bearings kicked in.