Rebuilding calipers, I have a little pitting in the cylinder...is that bad?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Thanks!

Ok, rear pads are barely worn (there's a smidgen more on them than my new semi-metallic pads), and from the looks of it, my parking brake has plenty of pad left, but the cylinder wall is a very slightly bit pitted where moisture pooled up. Not nearly as bad as the front was, but given the amount of rust in my fluid I'm going to flush the whole thing; then get new calipers, and a master cylinder to have better peace of mind.

Kinda stinks since I have it mostly torn apart and I have the seals and grease to rebuild the calipers, but I suppose I can save them for the next brake job.

Do I need the two anti-squeal shims for each pad, I seem to be missing some... :(

Here's the diagram so you can see them:

BR_031.gif

Last thing, I have a ton of named manufacturers to choose from, any recommendations on which to go with, especially for the master?

Wagner, Beck-Arnley, Centric, Raybestos, Nastra, Cardone... all for just calipers.
Beck/Arnley, Wagner, Bendix, Cardone, Dorman, all for the MS..

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
3p141592654;1795529 said:

Holy crap.

This car is somewhat old, but I'm really annoyed by little problems like this. I just want it to work :( (whine whine whine, sorry)

I'll take a look at my cylinder and make sure it's a Toyota part (hopefully it says AISIN or some Toyota name I know on the side).

I'll probably get a unit from NAPA or O'Reilly and check their return policy or check the seals at the counter and explain where I'm coming from, unless I have a toyota part and it's clean inside and good for a rebuild.

Thanks so much for that heads up, 3p. I'll read the rest of the thread soon I only read post #'s 1 and 14

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Figit090;1796069 said:
Holy crap.

This car is somewhat old, but I'm really annoyed by little problems like this. I just want it to work :( (whine whine whine, sorry)

I'll take a look at my cylinder and make sure it's a Toyota part (hopefully it says AISIN or some Toyota name I know on the side).

I'll probably get a unit from NAPA or O'Reilly and check their return policy or check the seals at the counter and explain where I'm coming from, unless I have a toyota part and it's clean inside and good for a rebuild.

Thanks so much for that heads up, 3p. I'll read the rest of the thread soon I only read post #'s 1 and 14

Long story short, after trying out MANY rebuilt units from advance, autozone, other parts stores, they ALL did the same thing. The rear seal, i got a used 91 master cylinder and problem was fixed immediately. I'd look into a used working one or buy new from toyota.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
OneJArpus;1796490 said:
Long story short, after trying out MANY rebuilt units from advance, autozone, other parts stores, they ALL did the same thing. The rear seal, i got a used 91 master cylinder and problem was fixed immediately. I'd look into a used working one or buy new from toyota.

I'm likely going to rebuild all the calipers with new units and then retest the master cylinder. I might take it apart to inspect it first but I may just flush it...and test with fresh calipers.
I remember being parked with the car running, pressing the brake, and then I decided to either pump it or cram it down and it sank gradually to the floor; but now I can't remember what I did nor do I know what either scenario would mean. Sounds like blow-by in the MS, but I don't know, perhaps it was full of air..i'll do more searching on that.

Are other supra owners having that much trouble rebuilding their master cylinders? Surely a bunch of us have needed to rebuild them, and if all those remanufactured ones are crap, how the hell are we not crashing into trees or left stranded without working brakes?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well odd this was not mention besides the hone

I use a 3 stone hone on calipers and brake cyclinders and use brake fuild as a lube and once rebuilt I test them with air

but what was not mentioned here was, it's highly not recomend you hone alumin it will ware out really fast and leak since from the facotry the bores are coated

in most cases the master will not store water and when they leak most cases the seal just get too hard and a cup seal kit will fix them

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
woah woah woah... it's only 82.89 for a brand new master cylinder by Aisin, from Driftmotion... That part won't be messed up with goofy seals! Not sure why I would want to do work rebuilding with a 100-dollar Toyota kit when I could buy a new part from the same maker that made the original.

hella cheap, too, compared to Toyota's 200 dollar markup!!

Looks like I'll get reman. calipers from O'reilly, I just put in the order to Driftmotion.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Wanted to thank you all for the help!

After rebuilt calipers, new brake lines, rotors, pads, and master cylinder...my car brakes very well and has no odd symptoms.
Fluid level might have dropped a bit so I'll be checking for leaks, but it seems sound. Found some interesting welds from a previous wreck on my subframe while doing cleaning for the brake line job but at least it's back on the road.

Thanks again
Andrew