Rebuilding an LSD

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
I have a question, where in the heck can I find a quality LSD/ Differential rebuilt kit. I'll probably need bearing, shims, clutch discs, seals, the whole works, and I might even need a new gear set. I've scoured the forum, and there may be a second option of going with a TT-R gear and torsen swap, but I don't know how how exactly how it would work even after read ten pages about it. My diff is disintegrating as we speak and I need a solution fast.

What should I do, I'm going crazy from whine :aigo::aigo::aigo:

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I just ordered all the internals from Champion Toyota on SF. Rebuilding the LSD was so easy that I didn't even use the JDM torsion diff that I had bought. Also if you want a tight LSD you can put some adjusting shims on the outer ends of it to compress the clutches and it works awesome. I think I spent like 200 for the new clutches and then another 500 for new bearings and seals. Then you just need to go over the TSRM to get it done or pay somebody to do it. I still have the JDM torsion diff for sale in the FS section

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Do you like the clutch type? My major goal for the future is to make my car road racing/track day/time attack monster. So you paid roughly 700 for OE Toyota parts, I'm going to see if I can find them for cheaper. Also as a question, how much power do you put through that rear end, cause you have a setup I want to go for soon (I already have the turbo).

plyhard13

Nov 17, 2010
Springfield, IL
Call Weir Performance. They sell a "maxgrip kit" for $45. I talked to Weir when I was going to do the rebuild on mine. I asked if he sold a rebuild kid and his response was that he's never seen a set of clutches that were worn out. I didn't understand how that was possible until I disassembled the LSD. The clutches are just super hard steel disks. He actually recommends shot peening the coating off the intermediate plates to get over 100 ft/lbs. I left the coating on mine and got 75 ft/lbs. He seemed extremely knowledgeable and had some great advice.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
I sent them an email yesterday. Really the clutches are just metal discs, that is freaking sweet. The max grip kit just comes with shims and the spring right. How much did you spend on your rebuild kit from them?

Also can some one explain BAT to me is it the torque that the LSD starts working? And if it is don't you want the BAT to be really low?

plyhard13

Nov 17, 2010
Springfield, IL
The stage one maxgrip kit was $45. It consists of shims and a spring. Break away torque is the force required to make one wheel spin at a different speed than the other (as in going around a corner). Too low and you get the "one tire fire". Too high (above 100 ft/lbs) and you start having problems with the wheels chattering when you go around corners.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Oh, you didn't get the rebuild kit they offered with bearings seals and the like. So when applying anything less than 100 ft/lbs to the diff only one wheel receives the power and anything over 100ft/lbs creates chatter. Interesting, I'll probably understand better when I open up my diff.

plyhard13

Nov 17, 2010
Springfield, IL
Weir doesn't sell any rebuild kits for the MKIII Supra diff. They do have kits for other cars. Spence Weir's advice was that unless the bearings where dragging, there was no need to replace them. They must not get a lot of stress. He actually advised against buying the solid pinion spacer he sells unless I needed to replace the pinion bearing or if I was building it for racing.

It's nowhere near as black and white as you assume. The theory is that you want to get the most breakaway torque you can before wheel chatter becomes an issue. That is apparently in the 70-100 ft/lb range. I did not shot peen the coating off the thrust washers and I measured 75 ft/lbs. Spence said that shot peening the coating off would get you over 100. I've only experienced very light chatter at my breakaway torque. 100 would probably be fine too, but anything above that would probably be a bit unbearable. He recommended against kit #2 or #3 unless it was going to be for a drift or drag car.

P.S. It's probably a good idea to give them a call. I've noticed places like that can be a bit slow to respond to emails. When I called, the owner was the one who answered the phone.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Oh, on there web site under their gear sets, it says they sell a kit for our diff, weird but I'll call them. The problem with my diff, is almost certainly the bearings and maybe even the gear set.

Thanks everyone for the help.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
That $700 was not all parts, I only spent like 300 for parts. The LSD I rebuilt myself but the other stuff (new pinion bearings, diff bearings) was done by a shop as I didn't have the tools to get the right backlash and what not. I am pushing 300 ponies to the wheels and have 305 ft pds of torque. I am getting ready to go MAFT-Pro so hopefully with some better tuning I can raise that horsepower a bit more. All I know is the car really flys with that amount of horsepower. I can't imagine what it would do with 400 LOL :)