rebuilding a CPS from DIST parts.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the wireing on my cam sensor has gone to hockey puck and requires wiggle mod to get it going now. now i have a distrabuter from a 7mge that is same plug in as my cam sensor

can i just unscrew the guts from the dist and swap them inside the cam sensor? (the 3 magnet pickups). on visual inspection they look the same, but not sure if it will work, or if ill have to cut and re-soder wires.

*edit* car is a 87 if that helps.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Yes it will work, I have done it, but the wire lengths are different so you have to make those fit. I cant remember if I had to extend any or not, but I think I just had to fold a couple over that were too long.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Good luck! I have even run my car with a distributor without the cap or rotor lol. It will slide right in and it is plug and play. It is a bigger housing so might not fit with the power steering res. and no way to cover it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nick M;1939852 said:
The distributor on the 7MGE is a CPS and secondary igntion in one unit.

Damn- never knew that.
To be clear, the na dist. Is NOT plug&play for a 7mgte due to wiring configuration, right?
Otherwise, i could see used na distributors becoming alot more popular, lol.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The NA distributor (from a pre-89, they changed the pickup style post 89) is plug and play for the 7mgte. The only issue is the housing is physically larger making it hard to fit and there is no way to cover it, unless you use the distributor cap which is huge. You can take the pickup coils out of the distributor and screw them right into a 7mgte CPS housing and plug it in and it will work, but like I was saying earlier the wire lengths are a little different so they have to be adjusted, I don't think its too hard. That being said I ran an NA distributor on my 7mgte for a while when my CPS took a crap and I had a distributor sitting around, and later swapped the electronics into my CPS housing.

What Nick is saying is that it has the same components of a CPS but also has the secondary ignition components as well (cap and rotor).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CyFi6;1939923 said:
What Nick is saying is that it has the same components of a CPS but also has the secondary ignition components as well (cap and rotor).

Yep. The 7MGTE has a seperate secondary, the coil pack on top of the valve cover. You can read about it here.