Rebuilding 7mgte?

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
Hi everyone,

I finally got approved yay! Haha. Ok back to business I just purchased a 1990 supra 7mge and I found a good deal on a 7mgte for 200 bucks just the engine . I am mainly looking for anyone who is local that can help me out with the 7mgte to see if I am missing anything. ( I am a more visual then looking at black and white pictures) I have a 1987 supra turbo engine and ecu + harness. I have a question about the oil cooler what should I do? The engine did not come with a stock oil filter fitting . It had a plate of some sorte and 2 steel lines going out and that's it .

I have already looked at the Cygnus website and looked through a lot of supra forums but if anyone can help me with pics or any info on my pics I post up would be greatly appreciated.

I am from the Bay Area california any info will help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 34

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hi,

If I see correctly on your pics, you have an oil filter relocation kit.
It would be a good idea to buy an oil filter holder/bracket.
Cam we see a pic of where the line goes? If the relief valve has been shut off or replaced with another adapter then your oil cooling system is meant to be full flow and you need a thermostat and an after market cooler, and this is a good idea.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
Ok so I think I might run into a problem? I noticed that on my car it has grey ecu plugs . An the 7mgte has yellow plugs will that be an issue? I have the 7mgte ecu and harness when I do the swap.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Depends on what you consider a problem. Is it going to be plug and play? No. But you can adapt it to make it work. There are threads about this.

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
suprasick;2012256 said:
Depends on what you consider a problem. Is it going to be plug and play? No. But you can adapt it to make it work. There are threads about this.

Well it seems like you have done what I am trying achieve to swap a 7mgte In a 7mge. Do you have a link to this?

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
So after some researching I feel like ughhhh. I realized that my harness are grey plugs on my car I have now and the turbo engine I have is yellow plugs . What are my options? To keep the yellow plug harness and ecu and repin them or some how find a 1990 turbo ecu and harness . I've looked at pick n pulls everything is stripped out the engine . :-(

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
I guess the Z guys are way friendlier then supra guys just as my buddy said before I got into the forums. It's better sticking to meet people in person for any type of help. Thanks to who ever actually replied, it's not a competition to who knows more and won't tell geez. Well I tried it was worthless I though I would have gotten better feedback from actually registering then just use the search button or googling.

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
If you have a yellow plug engine, harness and ECU, your issue will be the body plugs. They will not plug into each other. I'm not sure that re-pinning the plugs is possible as some might be a different size terminal. You could take your chances with cutting and splicing the plugs from your GE harness. The pre-89 and 89+ engines have a few different sensors so if you can find a GTE harness and ECU for a 1990 model (like yours) you can use those and change out the engine sensors.

Arrowhead510

Jun 19, 2014
East Bay Area
suprajim54;2012627 said:
If you have a yellow plug engine, harness and ECU, your issue will be the body plugs. They will not plug into each other. I'm not sure that re-pinning the plugs is possible as some might be a different size terminal. You could take your chances with cutting and splicing the plugs from your GE harness. The pre-89 and 89+ engines have a few different sensors so if you can find a GTE harness and ECU for a 1990 model (like yours) you can use those and change out the engine sensors.

Thank you for your reply, do you possibly know which engine sensors may be different ?

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Someone else may be able to chime in, but I know the sensors on the water neck are different. There may be a couple more. You might be able to swap some of the sensors from your original motor to the new one.