Rear Sway Bar Bushing Question

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I ordered new energy suspension sway bar bushings for the front and rear on my stock 87 N/A with the sport package. I replaced the front sway bar bushings and they fit very snugly over the bar. I am doing the back ones and they don't fit very snugly over the bar. There is a little bit of play in the bushing when I move the bushing up and down on the bar. Is this a problem, or is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1933008 said:
Does it have play when bolted down?

Yeah, I test drove the car and you could definitely feel the back had a lot of movement in it, even more than it did with the original ones. I then noticed that the original bushings said 21 and the bushings that energy suspension has listed for our cars are 23mm. Apparently Toyota changed the size of the rear sway bars at some point and the Supra that energy used to make our bushings was newer and had the larger rear sway bar. So the bushings that I have on there now are 2mm to big. This person had the same problem.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...fferent-years-models&highlight=21mm+rear+sway

I just went to autozone and ordered the universal 21mm kit to replace the ones I have on there now, and will return the ones that don't fit. Hopefully this universal kit will fit alright, if not I might just have to order new OEM ones.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I remember reading of another supra owner who had this problem. I think he did the universal energy bushings for the rear as well. I can't remember who it was. Either here or on supraforums.com

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
planemos;1933026 said:
I remember reading of another supra owner who had this problem. I think he did the universal energy bushings for the rear as well. I can't remember who it was. Either here or on supraforums.com

Well that's good to hear. I'm hoping that the universal ones go in real easy.

hvyman;1933044 said:
Ya those are not right then. Should be snug when bolted down.

Yeah, I figured when that something was wrong when I was able to slide the bar back and forth through the bushings.

After I did the front ones the car felt great, I can't wait to get the rear ones in and see what it is like with all poly ones instead of 26 year old cracking rubber ones.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yea the Energy Suspension database for our cars is incorrect.

Factory sway bar diameter:
Front-27.2mm
Rear-21mm

Energy Suspension database:
Front-27mm (#8.5133)
Rear-23mm (#8.5134)

We all need to use the rear universal ones (#9.5125). The front ones I think are slightly tight but they work.