rear hub removal on car

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
Is it possible to remove the rear hubs without removing the spindle? If so anyone have a step by step? Looking in the manual it looks like maybe a slide hammer might do the trick after the c clip is removed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
??? No i said maybe. The manual is using an SST. We all know that jobs the manual says use an SST we can do other ways. Was asking those who have done this standard stuff if its possible and if so how they did it. The manual has you removing the whole thing, which i've done before. I just got a full alignment and corner balance and now I need to do some machine work to the hub and don't want to disturb the link's.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You could pull the spindle and not throw the alignment off... as the adjustments are at the other ends of the arms.

Even if you could pull the hub out with a slide hammer, how are you going to get it back in? Unless you're using a press, you're going to damage the bearings...

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
If you have the stock suspension links in the rear then the alignment will remain the same as long as you dont touch the cam bolts or washers.

on a side note, is "hub" another term used for bearing? I thought the spindle was the hub...and the bearing was the "hub bearing"

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DeMoN2318;1949940 said:
If you have the stock suspension links in the rear then the alignment will remain the same as long as you dont touch the cam bolts or washers.

on a side note, is "hub" another term used for bearing? I thought the spindle was the hub...and the bearing was the "hub bearing"

Spindle is the assembly that mounts to the control arms. Hub is the part that has the flange where the brake rotor and wheel mount. Bearing is between these two parts (with the axle running through the center of the hub).

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
In my experience, if you R&R a spindle, you need to re-align. No matter how many marks, or other steps you take. It always makes changes to the readings. They may be small changes, but small changes (when it comes to alignment) count.

A slide hammer to remove a hub? Sure it could work. But how are you going to get it back together?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Poodles;1950073 said:
Spindle is the assembly that mounts to the control arms. Hub is the part that has the flange where the brake rotor and wheel mount. Bearing is between these two parts (with the axle running through the center of the hub).

Ahh yea duhh...brain fart!

Thanks man!

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
Well it can happen and was actually very easy. I made a puller to remove the hub then after replacing all the wheel bearings just used a large threaded rod with the old race as a spacer threaded through the axle hole and pulled it all together. Easier than I thought. I just was aprehensive as I had never done it. Pulled and replaced the bearing race the same way.

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
Not sure what experience you have but removing both are easy. If you read the first post the question was removing the hub without removing the spindle as to not mess up my fresh alignment. Was looking for tips on those who may of done it. Not sure why guys with no helpful info feel others want there input just because they have been on a forum for a long time?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jnybbad;1953975 said:
Not sure what experience you have but removing both are easy. If you read the first post the question was removing the hub without removing the spindle as to not mess up my fresh alignment. Was looking for tips on those who may of done it. Not sure why guys with no helpful info feel others want there input just because they have been on a forum for a long time?

They do that in case someone down the road searches and finds this thread...they don’t want them to think that they MUST do it your way, some people do not have the capabilities of manufacturing a special tool and doing it like you did, but knowing that removing the spindle is easier than doing it your way by removing the axel and this still won’t mess up the alignment, provided the necessary precautions are taken, will allow others to do this task themselves...

No need to get all defensive guy...you asked a question and got a variety of answers...sounds like you did it your own way regardless...so what’s there to whine about? You got your task done, case closed...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Poodles;1953491 said:
Removing the spindle is easier than removing the axles, but whatever...

I would say that removing the axle is considerably easier than removing the knuckle in my opinion, though neither are particularly difficult.

Poodles;1953982 said:
And we already told you it wouldn't mess up the alignment.

Removing the knuckle definitely can affect your alignment, even though the adjustments are on the body side, mounts with bushings can be in a slightly different spot after torquing things down. At the very least you should check the alignment after removing and replacing/reinstalling the knuckle.

I've never used any sort of puller to get the race out of/into the knuckle with it still on the car, I've always just used a press. That said, using a puller, etc. should work fine if you've got one that will work. I approve of this repair.

Jeff