Rear Hatch Jacks

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
I recently put spoiler on my 1986.5 supra, but now the rear hatch jacks won't support the weight. I search the web but it looks like nobody makes high pressure jack or so called red sticker to fit my car, evidently the jack's bottom bracket is the problem. Does go about to solve this problem, thanks

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
they are available from rockauto.com, under the listing of "lift supports".

I replaced mine a few years back and it did come with that bracket you are referring to, but double check the pic listed.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
I went through rockauto catalog, I could not find anything definite, my supra is 1986.5 which has different hatch struts than 1987. I would appreciate if you give me some info to narrow it down, such as manufacturer and/or part number, it would be great, thanks

dirosa

Apr 9, 2011
Toronto
you're right, the tsrm does show different part numbers throughout the years, but the 1986.5 part number is listed to work from 01/1986 - 08/1987, which tells me the 1987 one should fit. I have yet to replace them on my 86.5 though, only done my 89.

I would grab one from your local Napa and return it if it doesn't fit. The Napa one doesn't come with the bracket though, so you have to drill out the existing and bolt this one in it's place. Kind of good though cause there is a seal under the bracket which causes hatch leaks. It might even allow you to replace them without pulling the interior panels off if you keep the original bracket.

post back and let us know how it went! No doubt i'll have to replace them soon and i'll be pissed if I have to return mine to rockauto.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
Here is the picture of lower bracket of hatch lift, I don't know what 1987 model looks like, but several after market places I inquired they say the lower bracket is the problem, I believe the rear spoiler was first introduced in 1987. but I need to find high pressure lift that are close enough that with some mod make it work. picture is small double click on it

20150822_170758_zpscny68teh.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There all the same for bolting up. The difference is that the wing models can support more weight. Just use a newer model shock that is for the wing.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
I have two part numbers, AMS 4327 and Monroe 901455, but still can not confirm they are high pressure, I have sent email to several vendors to find out. Please let me know if you have used these parts, thanks