real quick bov help

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
k so i just got a bov from someone on supra mania.... its a turbo xs type something.

jit doesnt hook into the 300 piip or into the ic pipes or whatever like the greddy type s one duckel let me use did.. I think it goes in place of the other bov, but it only has one hose going in and then a vaccuum line.... i know where the vaccuum line goes but idk where the hose going in goes... the stock bov has two so if i take it out wont there be a big whole in my air intake ore something?

sorry for the run-on sentance and spelling...im in a hurry.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the hose going into the bov goes on the 3000 pipe. you have to plug the accordian hose where the stock bov went. you can buy a cap (3/4") from about any parts store.

also, you may have to use another hose to run to the bov. not sure which you have, but most are bigger inlets than 3/4". while you are at the parts store, have them look for you a radiator hose for it. take a pair of pliers to the clamp on the accordian hose and pull out the 3/4" bung that went to the stock bov. then take that and the xs bov with you. tell them you need a radiator hose that will mate the two together. there are several hoses that are flared on one end that will fit perfect for you. you just cut the hose to fit.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
dbsupra90 said:
the hose going into the bov goes on the 3000 pipe. you have to plug the accordian hose where the stock bov went. you can buy a cap (3/4") from about any parts store.

also, you may have to use another hose to run to the bov. not sure which you have, but most are bigger inlets than 3/4". while you are at the parts store, have them look for you a radiator hose for it. take a pair of pliers to the clamp on the accordian hose and pull out the 3/4" bung that went to the stock bov. then take that and the xs bov with you. tell them you need a radiator hose that will mate the two together. there are several hoses that are flared on one end that will fit perfect for you. you just cut the hose to fit.
it came with the hose already luckily i just got confused about that empy gaping hole in the intake thx im goint to go down to napa right now.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
ok question 2....i didnt know it was rated for 10-30 psi...i am running stock boost.. \\\will that cause me problems ?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Alright guys, we need a little info. The bov is installed correctly and works just fine, but, we are hearing a strange fluttering noise that resembles compressor surge. It does this a spit second before the valve opens, then goes away. The valve will open even if the car is in neutral (park) and is revved to as little as 2000rpms. Could this strange flutter be compressor surge?

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
Dunckel said:
Alright guys, we need a little info. The bov is installed correctly and works just fine, but, we are hearing a strange fluttering noise that resembles compressor surge. It does this a spit second before the valve opens, then goes away. The valve will open even if the car is in neutral (park) and is revved to as little as 2000rpms. Could this strange flutter be compressor surge?
yeah it sounds like that..... i only boost like 6 psi max...when i do boost that much it blows off ok, at lower boost levels it makes a flutter sound that reminds me of a sprinkler..... but my stock bov was doing that too. maybe its just easier to hear now because i put the k&n fipk on. idk the bov is not adjustable...i have and mbc but i dont think it would be smart to upt the bosst because my hg hasn't been messed with at all for all i know..... should i shim the waste gate or something up to like 7 or 8 psi? will this bov destroy my turbo? will rocky be able to save bullwinckle in time? tune in next time and find out.!!

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the turboxs is adjustable. just doesnt have an external adjustment. take the top off and pull the spring out. there are preload washers under the spring. the more washers, the more preload. if there are any in there, take them out.

check vac source like poodles said too.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
The car runs and idles fine. If it were a vacuum issue, wouldn't the idle be funny? :dunno: It doesn't stumble or anything after the air is vented either. The only vacuum source that was messed with was the one going to the stock bov, and it is hooked up correctly, with a new vacuum line.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
i took the bov apart, there are no washers just a big ass spring.......
it did it with the stock bov too (i think that is an important peice of info)..

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
so i just put the bov back together and back on and took it up and down my hill. when the boost guage reaches zero and i let of all of the way it will purge, and then sometimes flutter a little bit after the purge.. when im boosting at the halfway hashmark it will purge, and still sometimes flutter after purging..... if i ease of the gas more slowly or let go when the guages is between -4 and 0 it will flutter. sometimes it will flutter then purge a little then flutter more... it think the nois is just air escaping in spurts rather than in one big burst.... which isnt bad is it???

maitai69691

Jul 24, 2005
hilo hawaii
ive got a turbo XS bov it does the same thing all ways has. if i only boost a cpl of psi like 1-3 or less it kind of flutters but if im higher and let off fast it will blow off.