Random lean?

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I have an 88 turbo and it just started running super lean the other day. I have the regular gauge, so obviously I can only say really lean instead of a certain a/f ratio. However everything on this engine is new, it holds perfect fuel pressure, the afm is new and good, and I have a knock code. No other codes. The knock code was making it run super rich which didn't really affect the driving much, but then the car starting run super rich out of no where and I can't figure it out. I even checked to make sure the injector wires were good. I know the ecu is telling the injectors not to open. I just don't know why. Can anyone help? Could it be the injetors' resistor pack and if so where is it at?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
First ditch the narrow band gauge and get a real wideband setup.

Second fix all your codes.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I don't have the money. And however it doesn't telling me extremely accurately it is correct. It is leaning out and running like crap. Plus, the knock code makes it run rich not lean and it has driven fine like that for about 3 months so I'm wondering what changed not what I already knew. The knock code has been there and has changed since the car ws redone. The lean condition appeared yesterday,

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's not at all accurate. It's only tells you whether the Ecu should add fuel or take it away. Doesn't say by how much or what the actual afr is. Just a light that says its might be lean.

Innovate wide band kit is somewhere between 109-169.

And your car is not running fine if you have knock sensor codes. You should fix that. It's fairly inexpensive to fix.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Ge block with gte ecu. I have to tap the block for the knock sensors wholes. So is anyone going to tell me what could have change recently to cause this? Obviously my lack of wide band isn't causing this and the knock code was making it rich. So I want to know if anyone has an opinion on what could have happened in the last 2 days. The car has run perfect with the knock code for months now without a problem.

Not only that but 109-169 dollars is a lot when I just spent my last 20 in gas.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can also wire the second sensor into the first. Not as useful but will work.

Gotta pay to play.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
IRONMAN;1962391 said:
Ge block with gte ecu. I have to tap the block for the knock sensors wholes. So is anyone going to tell me what could have change recently to cause this? Obviously my lack of wide band isn't causing this and the knock code was making it rich. So I want to know if anyone has an opinion on what could have happened in the last 2 days. The car has run perfect with the knock code for months now without a problem.

Just run one knock sensor to both ports on the ecu. I have a GTE block but running mine that way. No problems yet.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
IRONMAN;1962391 said:

A supra isn't the best car to have when money is a problem. Fix your code first. Always the first thing to do when the car isn't running right is check/fix codes. If that doesn't do it move to the next thing.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Yes, same injectors, with same AFM. All stock. This just popped up the other day after no changes were made to the car. Not only that but I did have both knock sensors rewired and it was one sensor into both inputs and it didn't change anything. I'm not looking for people to tell me about the code. I know about the code. I ran fine for months with the code and I drove it normally. Then out of nowhere without any work done or changes made it just started running lean. That is what I'm trying to figure out. Could it be the injector resistors gone bad?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IRONMAN;1962391 said:
So I want to know if anyone has an opinion on what could have happened in the last 2 days.

Yes. But why do you want an opinion when you were told from the get go what to do. Why settle for an opinion?

Congratulations, you are today's big pie winner.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jetjock;1962536 said:
The key words here are "post history"...

Aint that the truth...

August 17th-----
IRONMAN;1959310 said:
Hey I'm slightly new to supras and slightly new to the forums and was wondering how to see peoples mods lists and or if someone could give me a mod list and a horsepower/ torque rating. I would really appreciate it. I have a supra that I want to build but am not sure what all to do. Money is not a factor.

Spent all his money in 2 weeks...

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
Nope. Never spent a dime. I was panning on saving. Congratulation. You guessed wrong. I wanted to know which route to take. Which doesn't matter because for some reason the ECU can't make up it's mind. Everything is fixed except a code that makes it run rich. Since it's running lean confusion hits. The car has run fin for a while and for no reason started running lean with no mod changes, no tuning changes, no new codes, and same gas/fluids and conditions. So I'm trying to find out what changed in the last few day, not what was already wrong and running fine. The problem happened in the last few days. Let's focus on that.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The problem at fact is you have a dummy gauge and not a real wideband so in fact you don't even actually know if your running lean.

Second is you have codes and your not trying to fix it. Soo....

Your not helping yourself much here which is not going to help us help you which will eventually turn into this thread getting closed.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Most of the time you are running closed loop, so even with the code 52 you will not be running rich. Its only when you go open loop that it makes any difference.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IRONMAN;1959359 said:
I already have 15000 into it I bought it with a blown headgasket and rebuilt it. (bored 40 over and upgraded CT26 with afpr). Then a turbo oil seal blew out (Shotty work from the shop) and I rebuilt the turbo and got another drop in engine to get back on the road and added a 255lph because the old pump busted. Well I am continuously having leaks (oil) with this engine and am getting tired of it and want to do it the right way. A complete rebuilt with new turbo, internals, larger injectors, etc. I just want to know that I won't forget anything. I want to completely re-do the whole thing with no rigging (previous owner), no mess, no old parts, just all new setup ith everything triple checked for security. I want to drive my supra again and not worry about it breaking down every 10 miles because of a leak, or a plug, or a sensor (all of which are new but all of which till give errors), or anything. Any guidance or anything would be helpful.

Didn't spend a dime ayy? the 15k must have been all pennies, nickels, and quarters then...

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IRONMAN;1962555 said:
Nope. Never spent a dime. I was panning on saving. Congratulation. You guessed wrong. I wanted to know which route to take. Which doesn't matter because for some reason the ECU can't make up it's mind. Everything is fixed except a code that makes it run rich. Since it's running lean confusion hits. The car has run fin for a while and for no reason started running lean with no mod changes, no tuning changes, no new codes, and same gas/fluids and conditions. So I'm trying to find out what changed in the last few day, not what was already wrong and running fine. The problem happened in the last few days. Let's focus on that.

Something broke...that's what happened

If you don't have any money to fix it then just park it and forget about it (well maybe part it out first)...Even if we could tell you what happened you don't have the funds to fix it so it's pointless for us to try to weed through this troll and help you.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Hmm, rebuilt the engine but dropped in a leaky old engine because the turbo was leaking. Money is not an option and neither is intelligence.

First, your knock sensors. It'll cost you about 8 bucks for the cable, the rest of the stuff most other people have.

Next, give us your 'mod' list so we can at least be updated on what your car has/doesn't have.