Ran a few checks today

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
So I ran a compression check today came out 200,190,200,195,192,200 I was pretty happy with this. Then I ran the leak down test. Cylinder 1, 150psi and holding. 2 holding, 3 holding, 4......shit! ::bhg::. 5 & 6 the same. Its a pretty slow leak through all 3 cylinders and I know the head was torqued to factory specs as it was a toyota crate motor, Ya big $$$ for the last owner. Im going to see if I can get away with retorquing the head until I park it for the winter. If not I guess its going in the garage early this year. The upside is I can get the intake and exaust manifolds along with the valve covers coated while they are off! Anybody recomend anything while I have the head off and apart? New valve springs maybe? I dont have plans for any outrageous HP #s

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I would say do a port apolish on the head, change all the valve seals, check all the valve guides and get a 3 angel valve job for all the valves.

Be sure to get the head and block machined to the correnct RA spec for your new gasket.

Cheers,
Roy

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
This morning I retorqued my head to 70, just to see what if would do. Ran the leak down again; 1-still holding, 2-still holding, 3-still holding, 4-now holding, 5- still leaking but slower, 6-now holding. So it sealed 2 of the three cylinders but 5 is still leaking. its slow enough It would definatly be drivable but Im just going to go ahead and get it overwith now. So I guess I have a fall project. Are any of the ebay gasket kits any good? just for the intake, exhaust, valve seals ect?

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You can get OK stuff off Ebay, just make sure that the gaskets you buy are not just the thin paper style.

This intake gasket is crap:
HS8025.jpg

This set looks better- rediculously low price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...ryZ33667QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem