Raido not woriing , unless the back 10P plug is removed and re-intallled

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
ok,,, this is possible the weirdest post I have seen here so far... so here is the problem : >>>>>>

I have a 87 Turbo supra -- the issue is a radio that suddenly stopped working whenever I turned the ignition switch on and start the car.

background>> I've had this car for 27 years... put in a '93 radio (a 3 in 1) radio with separate power amp (ADS) 6ch........ 17 years ago... worked fine for all those years.

THen last week , the radio face was dark and non functioning ( couldn't change stations, CD , radio or Tape) but it would work on the last station it was set to before the power was turned off on the ignition.

so, puzzled and playing around with it .. I checked the amp... its fine.. I unplugged the power into to and out of it back to the amp unit .. radio would not turn on.. even thought the plug was in the back of head unit. and key was on . so eliminating the power amp;..

I INPLUGGED the 10P connector from the back of the 3-1 HEAD unit ..while the key was still on.. I immediately re- installed it .. NO LUCK . .so I waited 10 sec .. and re- installed it and BINGO ... the radio worked !!! like its suppose to

I could power it off with front power button while ignition is ON ,and it would come right back on (like its suppose to ... ) now here's the weird part.. when I turned key off, and then back to accessory position .. NO MORE WORK :-( . unless I put the ignition to the ON position first , THEN REINSTALED THE 10P CONNCECTOR TO THE BACK OF THE HEAD UNIT!!!!

so .. IS THERE SOME KIND OR RELAY ON THE IGNTION SWITH THAT SENSES A LOAN ON THE CIRCUTI LIKE A RADIO OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT ?? the only way I can get the radio to work now is removed it form the dash , unplug the 10P connector on the back , WITH THE IGNITION ON ., and wait 10 sec at least and them re-install the plug.
obviously this is NOT acceptable and something on the cars electrical system doesn't like he radio pre connected to its circuit when the ignition is turned on .

ok.. there's my story.. ANY experienced and solid help would greatly be appreciated from anyone that has some ideas..

thank you

Last edited:

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
No there is not a sensor for the load, I think the problem is with your radio, there is an accessory line connected to the radio, which when the switch is Accessory or ON position it goes high to +5v and activates a solid state relay to turn the radio on, check this line. Based on what you said I think relay inside the radio is malfunctioning,
may it time for upgrade, look into Jensen VX7020, I have two of these units in cars.