Radiator oil cooler as PS cooler?

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
My radiator has a secondary cooler in it with 1/4" fittings on it. I was wondering if that would make a good power steering cooler. I have been driving it for a couple days with no PS cooler, but I didn't realize how hot that PS fluid gets :aigo:

There are pros and cons to running it through the radiator vs running a separate PS cooler. I guess I just don't know what temp the power steering fluid should stay under.

This is on a 1JZ swap. No AC condenser.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
although the auto tranny fluid is run through the cooler in the bottom of the radiator, you may want to just add a small cooler up front since the stock ps cooling lines are behind hte nose. you can easily use the stock gte oil cooler if you have upgraded that.
look around here http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...esults=false&y=0&N=700+115&Ntt=oil+cooler&x=0
but advance auto parts has a 12"x5" or 12x7 by whatever thickness it is for under 20.00.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
The fittings are a good size at 1/4". I would use the radiator cooler because it would be easier, cleaner, and already has a thermo-controlled fan on it.

I am just don't know if the radiator will ever run at a temperature that is to high for the PS fluid. But, P5150 brings up a good point that they are both ATF.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I think the lines are AFTER the rack that go to the stock cooler, if that is the case, it should be fine.

If it's out of the pump, but before the rack, I don't know if the cooler could handle it...

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
If you put it on the return side of the P/S and not the pressure side, it would work better. Also the rad is about 160 and I don't think the p/s wants to run that hot, usually there is just a small cooler(small single tube with fins) I think thats because it runs cooler then your other systems.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I have read a couple not-so-credible sources on the web that say ATF should stay under 212-250 degrees. Since I did hear my pump making a little noise one hot day in a parking lot, I think I have hit temp for a short time.

I went out and bought some hydraulic line for like $3. I will try it out later on this week :)

Edit: Yeah it will go in after the rack :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
simpsons7s;976007 said:
If you put it on the return side of the P/S and not the pressure side, it would work better. Also the rad is about 160 and I don't think the p/s wants to run that hot, usually there is just a small cooler(small single tube with fins) I think thats because it runs cooler then your other systems.

nope, the system gets extremely hot if worked (roadcourse, spirited twisties, ect)

They changed the cooler from just some pipes, to pipes with fins on them after 89 (or mid year, not sure)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The AT fluid is run through the radiator to warm it up quickly to operating temperature, then to keep it at that temperature.

The PS system would probably work better with a normal oil cooler that's not part of the radiator. We use the stock 7m engine oil cooler for the ps system and it works well.