radiator boil over

dustin77

Nov 19, 2012
pasco
finally got the car running but now having issues trying to purge air out of the cooling system. it also has erractic idle. I hooked up a block tester and found I had a bad heater core replaced that got it back up and running and same thing heats up bubbles a little bit and once the stats opens it boils over! motor is freshly rebuilt so I am hoping to god that it isnt a misseated head gasket or wapred head/block. I have good compression in all cylinders no oil in water or water in oil. looking at napas co2 tester for the cooling system, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated?
thanks dustin

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
you need to get a spill free radiator funnel at your local parts store. the 7m motor is not an easy motor to purge. this funnel makes it easy just allow the engine to warm and make sure to turn your heater all the way up once you start feeling heat out of your vents most of the air should be out of your system. at this point I continue running while reving my engine until no more air bubbles come out if after about several minutes of doing this and air bubbles continue to come out you might have a bhg.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
The spill free radiator funnels are amazing for bleeding cooling systems. The heater core in the Supra tends to lock up air pretty darn good. It can be a major pain trying to get it all out of there. Getting a block test kit is never a bad idea though if you're getting more "air" out of the cooling system than you should though.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
You should not have to burp this motor, one or two good heat cycles will take care of it assuming the initial fill level is high enough.

If you have to keep purging air you have other problems.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ agreed.

Fill the cooling system. Drive it till it's hot. Let it cool down and top off if nesseccary.

If air keeps getting in you have a leak.

If its boiling over and out the over flow could be cap or bhg.

dustin77

Nov 19, 2012
pasco
well I ran the napa head leak test came out good, the blue liquid never turned yellow and it stayed in a vacuum which it says is a good sign! I am now just waiting on my dual radiator fans and thermostat than I will be able to actually drive it and let it run for a while and get hot. Also got my cam sensor coming in so I hope I will be able to get this thing timed!
Dustin