Radiator blew the top open

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I was hitting some turns in the hills and was passing my buddy's vr6 rabbit and thats when it happened. I looked down at the temp and it was up very high, not all the way to the red, under it about and 8th. I pulled over and looked at the damage.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340947643.247110.jpg
The next day when I had it towed I had to start it up to back it out of the driveway and it was running smooth, went to smell the exhaust for coolant and there was no coolant smell or steam. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340947799.447749.jpg
Had it towed home and out her in the garage and up on jack stands.

I think my thermostat must of got stuck in the wrong position. Any thoughts on this, other than upgraded from the hydro to a aluminum radiator:) thanks so much guys for any input!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow, that is crazy.

If the thermostat would be stuck closed, wouldn't it overheat and you'd catch it hopefully before something like this happens.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
Ya the plastic part seemed old and brittle under inspection, I am getting a new rad and electric fan set up. I have never had my engine over heat in two years, and I am a gauge hawk:) but I was taking some turns at full speed chasing the rabbit and we were pushing the limits, so looking down was not option....;)
I pulled on the split part right now and it just came off with ease:/ ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340954399.474159.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Radiator busted. Either cheap radiator or cheap cap.

I've seen rads crack bad and if there weak to begin with and you take them through canyon hard they will burst.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Maybe body flex contorted it while maneuvering, if it was allready aged it wouldn't take much.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I have a plastic endtank rad on my car and this scares me a little as I daily drive my car. So it looks like I'm gonna be buying a Koyo/PWR sooner than I thought. Which rad did you end up getting?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Happened to my old 88 right before I bought it actually, but for a completely opposite reason.

It was December 7th, 194.. err... 2005, and it was a COLD sonofabitch here that day. -25°, some places as low as -30° (ambient by the way, count in another 20° colder from the wind chill). Anyway, the dealership that I bought my car from went out onto the lot to start all their cars that morning, to make sure they would, and let them warm up a bit. It was one of the only ones that would start without assistance, I was pretty impressed.

However...

The previous owner had a BHG, and only refilled the coolant... with water.

Well boys and girls, water and holyfuckitscoldouthere temperatures don't mix very well. Pressure from the water pump caused what little liquid there was in the system that wasn't frozen to build up... and it had to go somewhere. Kaboom radiator. :)

On the plus side, got the car for $1000 rather than the asking price of $4000. Thing was pretty damned mint too...

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Happened to me last summer,
nice story mk3tattoos
p1853462_1.jpg

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
Oh dam john, crazy you have the same picture:) lol...oh it was just getting really fun too!

I ended up buying a koyorad with an electric fan and controller of a member hereImageUploadedByTapatalk1341028427.564072.jpg

And I just ordered the DM67mm T04R/Z ar70 turbo kit today as well:) oh so stoked, kinda glad that radiator gave up on me......I think she did it on purpose to get some love:)

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
johnd;1853462 said:
Happened to me last summer,
nice story mk3tattoos
p1853583_1.jpg

I'll have to put up some video and pics of his rabbit Vr6, shit you could google it and see!!!
It was the original Thunder Bunny from 1995, first fully built VR6 rabbit swap, roll cage, everything was done right, built for the track!!! Triangle auto built it in Washington I believe. It's a beast:)

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
this always happens with plastic radiators. my friend had half of his body burned because of them.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
at least the 7m will eat the coolant to save the radiator, should have stuck with the BHG queen...

Happened on my wives lancer except it wouldnt leak until 7-8psi.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
OneJArpus;1854003 said:
Get a new rad cap as well...

Most definitely!!! Was just looking in DM ,is the blitz 1.3 bar, or the greddy 1.3 bar good?
Was thinking to pick up a new thermostat when I get the rad cap?
Thanks for the help fellas!

side note what you running for the ignition system? LS1?
Ya wires look burly!?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I was going to say that this is actually pretty common sadly, but others have pretty much chimed in on that note already. Anything important that's going to be subjected to high pressure, heat, and the elements, should not be made of plastic.