Rack&Pinion not working!

demonofspeed

Jan 27, 2008
Texas
I bought it from oriellys, I plugged everything in, the hardest part was just getting it in there, now I'm not getting any kind of power steering...it's not possible to cross the two fluid lines, they have those placer tabs...anyone have any suggestions at all. Sorry if I'm not using the right terms.

1989 7mgte auto

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I had problems with my power steering pump after taking out my motor and draining just the fluid. I ended up loosing the line with the banjo bolt so it can bleed through ( any air out). After that everything works. I don't know if its necessary, but this is what I did. You may want to hear from others also.

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
Hmong_1G;1445471 said:
I had problems with my power steering pump after taking out my motor and draining just the fluid. I ended up loosing the line with the banjo bolt so it can bleed through ( any air out). After that everything works. I don't know if its necessary, but this is what I did. You may want to hear from others also.

I rebuilt the whole rack and valve with the toyota rebuild kit. It was not terribly hard, once the rack is off the car. with new, clean parts, its not a bad job, but taking it off caked in grease and grime without a lift was pretty bad. In the process I found some of the rebult racks are not done correctly, especially installing the teflon over rubber gaskets in the center of the rack.

The parts in the valve and rack have pretty small fluid passages, so any bit of grime in the lines would be a disaster.

When I reinstalled it I just put fluid in and turned it to each extreme a few times kept adding fluid as needed, and it bled itself and works really well now.

So: grime in the lines
not enough fluid added when bleeding or bleeding procedure in the TSRM not followed
loose belt to PS pump - surprisingly large effect on steering.
incorrectly installed teflon rings.
Otherwise look at the pump.

You can test the rack with a vacuum tester when it is out of the car, per TSRM.