Rack and Pinion questions/guidance

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
So my 91 MK3 needs a new rack and pinion, should I get one from Toyota or are the Cardone remans the same thing? Also I am pretty sure I need one with EVO since I have PPS but I want to be sure on that and what else should I get to replace while I am in there bushings, parts, etc.?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Definitely get some poly rack bushings to replace while you are in there. I believe raptor racing sells a set as well as a company that makes them and sells them on ebay. I went with the former. Also if you are replacing the rack I would clean out the power steering reservoir and screen and run Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the power steering along with a Magnefine filter. This way you will never have problems with it again.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
Just finished installing mine, Toyota does not carry them anymore. I checked with Curt @ Elmhurst and they were discontinued. I think I got the last one from Cardone via Oreilly Auto parts. As for other rebuilders, they will want you to ship your old one and they will rebuild and ship them back to you. You're lucky, your in the Mainland, it took 2 weeks to get mine. I did buy the Gates Push and Loc hoses from Driftmotion to replace mine. Also check Rockauto for better prices. Good luck.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea Rockauto has the rack with EVO for like $300. I want to try and fix up my accord this weekend, so I can daily drive that and take my time fixing up the MK3. Advance Auto Parts has it for $260

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I am glad I tried to get a final price in the cart because Advance auto, O'Reilly, and Rockauto do not have them in stock and say unavailable........ Oh joy lol

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah, those are the bushings. I tried to find the company on ebay, but it appears they only have the bushings for right hand drive cars in stock right now. If your hoses are leaking I would definitely recommend replacing them while the rack is out. It will be much easier this way. I just went with an OE type replacement from Advanced auto for my high pressure hose, but I have heard good things about the DM hose as well. I can't comment on the cooler though as I don't have one. If you order anything from advanced be sure to look up some of their promotion codes. Usually they have one for 30-40% off or so.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
When I order from advance and such I always look for promo codes hehe thanks for the tip though. I want to replace everything that deals with the power steering while I am already in there I kind of want to replace the reservoir too.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I am going to have to ship it out to get it rebuilt unfortunately. I'll do that once I get my accord up and running, so I can still have a car for work and such.