r154 upgrade, to dog box or not to dog box a daily/weekend warrior

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
r154 doesnt seem to hold up in higher power levels and parts are become scarce. i see a page on facebook pgs transmissions in sweden has dogbox and syncro upgraded gear sets. im leaning toward the dogbox setup. was there not one user on here that had a dogbox r154? curious on daily driving characteristics

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
The only companies I know that make dog box gearsets for the R154 are PPG (12k) and PAR (5k), both of which are in Australia. I think I may have seen that page at some point, but nobody knew how strong they were, nor the machining quality. Was more of a feeler iirc.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
From what I understand about sequential gear sets they don't necessarily mean you can hold higher power levels unless you have them made for it. Its mainly for quick shifting, and if you think the R154s are getting scarce then putting a sequential gear set in your R154 will make it even tougher to service it if parts do break.

I think its the PPG company who has videos out there of them driving a Nissan S chassis with one of their gear sets, it does drive normal just noisy. I talked to a guy in Malta who had a sequential gear set in his R154, unfortunately it popped after only a few runs down the drag strip so he didnt get much seat time with it to tell how it was. He had a built 7M in the car.

I think the better option would be adapting a legit sequential gearbox to your engine of choice, but with that sort of investment you could probably buy and build 5 R154s and have them sitting on the shelf for when you need them.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
v160 bolts up to jz and plenty of parts are available.

the problem with t56 is unless you score on a sweet deal is prolly going to cost just as much as a v160 setup.