R154 upgrade from driftmotion

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Hey guys just want to get some more info about this kit from you guys, has anyone here put this kit in their trans and how is it, If all good comes back I'm going all out with the trans, I'll get the kit, new slave cyclinder, braided lines, DM short shifter kit and MT90 fluid. Just wanna get some more info on it thanks guys

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I don't have the Marlin Crawler internal parts in my r154 but I do have the one piece DM ss line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It fits perfect and is good quality.

If you are looking to upgrade the shift forks to the Marlin Crawler ones make sure you look for the new red 2.0 version. The 2.0 version was redesigned to provide more contact than the original ones and I believe the original version is what comes with the DM rebuilds so I would look into that.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
plaaya69;2094150 said:
I don't have the Marlin Crawler internal parts in my r154 but I do have the one piece DM ss line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It fits perfect and is good quality.

If you are looking to upgrade the shift forks to the Marlin Crawler ones make sure you look for the new red 2.0 version. The 2.0 version was redesigned to provide more contact than the original ones and I believe the original version is what comes with the DM rebuilds so I would look into that.

+1
I just rebuilt my own R154 with the newest design Red Anodized shift forks directly from Marlin Crawler.
Very very nice parts.20170423_110332.jpg

ncv6coupe

Jul 24, 2011
ATL, GA
If I remember correctly drift motion also has a v2 version that is suspiciously similar to the red v2 marlin crawlers. I also purchased the driftmotion rebuild kit with the rounded edge synchros but got all marlin crawler v2 forks, bearing retainer and thrust washer. Had all gears cryo and R.E.M. treated in transmission. Cost a pretty penny and still waiting for local shop to finish the rebuild now. They highly recommended it since I'm shooting for 650+torque.

Regardless they still told me that the r154 will not like high rpm and might lockout 2-3 or 3-4 if I try to speed shift. I just don't want to break it so waited even longer to save up for this build.

Hey pirate what's going on with your gear tips? Are those oil groove cuts you made during your build? or is that factory and this is the first time seeing such a detailed shot up close?

Michigan how is the car driving? How did it "break in"

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Those are factory grooves.
Just good quality photos :D

Some of the differential gears also have the same style grooves.

ncv6coupe

Jul 24, 2011
ATL, GA
What do u think about cryo R.E.M.? I see you've done multiple lsd and trans rebuilds for members. I can't remember how my car drove since I only had it for 2.5 miles before I molested it from being bone stock 6 years ago. Never even got it over 40mph?

MichiganLC

Oct 30, 2015
Michigan
ncv6coupe;2094405 said:
If I remember correctly drift motion also has a v2 version that is suspiciously similar to the red v2 marlin crawlers. I also purchased the driftmotion rebuild kit with the rounded edge synchros but got all marlin crawler v2 forks, bearing retainer and thrust washer. Had all gears cryo and R.E.M. treated in transmission. Cost a pretty penny and still waiting for local shop to finish the rebuild now. They highly recommended it since I'm shooting for 650+torque.

Regardless they still told me that the r154 will not like high rpm and might lockout 2-3 or 3-4 if I try to speed shift. I just don't want to break it so waited even longer to save up for this build.

Hey pirate what's going on with your gear tips? Are those oil groove cuts you made during your build? or is that factory and this is the first time seeing such a detailed shot up close?

Michigan how is the car driving? How did it "break in"

I wasn't expecting it to be as smooth as it is. I'm very happy with it.