R154 Throwout bearing/ clutch release issue *Video inside*

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
I've been trying to bleed my clutch for over 5 hours and couldn't get any pressure in the clutch pedal. Even though i had no more air in the lines, the pedal would still just drop to the ground. I took the slave off the tranny and when i re installed it, the clutch was super stiff. I went ahead and tried to depress the clutch through the resistance and i heard a pop. I looked under the car and brake fluid was dripping from the bell housing...great. Needless to say that slave is toast. It looked like it over extended because the boot was torn but still sketched out by the pop i heard.

I got a new slave and went to town again with zero luck. I decided to unbolt the slave again and see whats up and noticed there was no resistance in the clutch release arm. Like it would swing back and forth. I popped off the inspection covers and saw that the fork side of the clutch release arm wasnt attatched to anything and would move freely when i messed with the lever the slave goes to.

Watch the video, i think i killed the throw out bearing, am i right? I think the throwout bearing or the hub part is stuck in the extended position and if im not mistaken it should compress again when i let go of the clutch pedal.

Any insight would help, i have the car running well finally, it looks perfect but this minor issue that i most likely have to pull the engine out for is getting the best of me.

TLDR: Is the throwout bearing or hub broken in the video?

[video=youtube;bwIf3EXmnFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwIf3EXmnFc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

http://youtu.be/bwIf3EXmnFc

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's going to be able to go the other way without the slave bolted to it.

Did you replace the master?
If so did you bench bleed it?
Sure the master is not bad?

To bleed push clutch in couple times, then to the floor, open bleeder on slave and fluid will come squirting out like brakes. If there is air air will come out.

Can also loosen the line on the master and push the clutch in with a rag over the line and make sure the master is pumping fluid. And close the line with the pedal still to the floor.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Looks like you lost the snap ring that holds the hub in place on the pressure plate. I don't remember there being that much room for the fork to move when I did mine.

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
Bleeding is not the issue, that arm in the video is supposed to separate the clutch from the flywheel by pulling back on that throwout bearing hub. The issue is that the hub looks over extended or someone mentioned to me that it is missing a snap ring?

Should that throwout bearing be returning when the clutch is engaged to the flywheel? and if im not mistaken when i press the pedal to dis engage the clutch the fork should pull that release bearing back, right?

I really don't know where exactly to go from here so any input is greatly appreciated

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
I should have seen it laying in the bell housing though right? Can you point it out in this diagram? I really have no idea where to go on this

CL_011.gif

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
Dan_Gyoba;1880713 said:
Looks like you lost the snap ring that holds the hub in place on the pressure plate. I don't remember there being that much room for the fork to move when I did mine.

Also, was there that much room for it to move? I feel like either there is a ring in there thats missing like you said or the clutch hub should be shorter.

The little things like this have been killing me, I'm ready to scrap this whole thing over the million small issues

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
Any suggestions as to where I should start? I'm gonna have the engine out of the car today and will be taking the tranny off. I'm gonna take a trip to the dealer for the hub and rings, possibly the parts store.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There's like 6 rings and 2 snap rings for the throw out bearing. You need them and in the right order.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Wait... looking at the video again... you put the hub in backwards. The throwout bearing should be on the flywheel side of the pressure plate. The R154 is a pull type clutch, so the bearing needs to be on the other side. You need to pull the whole thing and do over.

Put the thrust cone, small plate washer, bearing and small snap ring on the hub. Put that onto the pressure plate from the flywheel side. Put the large plate washer, wave washer and large snap ring on from the transmission side. There will be just enough room for the clutch fork to pull the tines.

Last edited:

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
Thanks man, I will bust it open and update. Hopefully the dealer has those parts in stock.

paulb1320

Apr 21, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hvyman;1880826 said:
There's like 6 rings and 2 snap rings for the throw out bearing. You need them and in the right order.

p1880860_1.png

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
That makes sense, I'm just perplexed because it worked last year when I was on the stock twins. I found the kit with all the rings at the local parts supplier so ill give it a go and flip the hub from what it was in the video. I will update while everything is apart.

But is that the throwout bearing? I was under the impression that's the hub the fork pulls on?

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
They were in 2 different sections, I thought that was cool. Sorry about that.

Hopefully I have enough to get started, I'll update in the morning when the tranny is out

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
So, my parts guy brought me this and said that this is the throw out bearing and hub he has for all 1990 supras, turbo and non turbo.

p1880960_1.jpg

p1880960_2.jpg

Im assuming the fork would go like this:
p1880960_3.jpg

I have a feeling that that part is for non turbos by looking at the diagram but its def listed as for both mk3 and mk4 supra, turbo and non turbo. What do you guys think?

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
well i dont quite understand whats wrong with the install you did looking at what i pulled off my pressure plate last weekend, i installed it on my act plate a few minutes after and it looks correct in the video if you want i can put on the clutch fork and see how much wiggle it has, and take a video of the action.
I'd like to add that it looks like maybe your pp is stuck in the open position and its not springing back. i dont know what would stop it, but perhaps its a possibility and something to look at.

Last edited:

jaze

May 18, 2011
NY
Smashey;1880999 said:
well i dont quite understand whats wrong with the install you did looking at what i pulled off my pressure plate last weekend, i installed it on my act plate a few minutes after and it looks correct in the video if you want i can put on the clutch fork and see how much wiggle it has, and take a video of the action.
I'd like to add that it looks like maybe your pp is stuck in the open position and its not springing back. i dont know what would stop it, but perhaps its a possibility and something to look at.

That would be amazing if you could do that. Last night i was thinking that maybe something unseated behind the PP and not letting it come back. If i could see another working tranny from the view of my video it would give me an idea as to what it's supposed do rather than just swing like mine. Since the correct parts are coming late next week, i'll have some time to brainstorm a bit. I had to go to the dealer and got the following parts which i get on wed or thursday:

90363-45012 bearing,t/o
90363-12002-77 bearing,pilot

96152-00450 ring, snap
90201-71001 washer
90206-72001 washer
90520-67001 ring, snap
90201-45023 washer
31264-14040 spring
31231-14040 clutch hub

I really hope this will fix it, but i wouldnt be able to tell if any of the parts look out of the ordinary just because this is my first time messing with these parts.