r154 swap questions

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
after quite a few search attempts i hav'nt found any good threads on swaping from automatic to manual, and would appreciate it if anyone knew of a good thread on it. also a couple basic questions, first of all i have a 92t auto, and my parts car with the manual (r154) is an 88t, anyways i got a 92 m/t ecu and was told once that i can use my automatic ecu wiring harness still, is this true? also similarily i heard that you can use the automatic speedo cable, does this work without miscalculating the speed? any help appreciated thanks.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
speedfreak;1301209 said:
first of all i have a 92t auto, and my parts car with the manual (r154) is an 88t, anyways i got a 92 m/t ecu and was told once that i can use my automatic ecu wiring harness still, is this true?

Yes, you will just need to jump the plug for the neutral saftey switch. very easy fix.

speedfreak;1301209 said:
also similarily i heard that you can use the automatic speedo cable, does this work without miscalculating the speed?

Yes.

It's a pretty straight forward swap... I've done one in less than a day. The worste part is the clutch master cyl, thing is a PITA to install. All of the bolt holes are in the body already, so it's just in a position that I would recommend stretching before attempting to get into. Obviously you will also need to install the clutch pedal assembly and swap out the brake pedal (or cut off the left side of it). Then remove the engine/trans (or just the trans if you prefer to do it that way) remove the flex plate from the engine, INSTALL THE PILOT BEARING, install flywheel. run the hard line for your clutch slave,
(install clutch on trans and move trans into place), MAY need to cut the shifter hole larger I dont remember if you have to on the mkIII's, install clutch onto flywheel, insert shifter fork, install clutch slave, install clutch softline, install driveshaft and thats pretty much it from the top of my head.