R154 sparks from underneath car. Now ticking and vibration

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Well I'm back again with another dumb adventure in the money pit:

While diving tonight, winding it out like I do sometimes, I experienced something terrible. I was shifting hard from 3rd to 4th, bov vented heard a loud bang then vibration and ticking started. Guy behind me said sparks flew out from underneath the car when I lifted to shift from 3rd to 4th. Ticking is rpm dependent no matter what gear im in, there is a small hole about quarter inch wide and inch and a half long towards the front bottom side of the transmission case and I have a vibration that is very noticeable and gets worse as I apply throttle. The ticking sounds like a valve tick but is coming from under the car towards the mating point of motor/bell housing/ transmission.

The car is still mobile, drove it ~10 miles home. All gears seem to work fine, second always had a sychro issue. Occasionally in different gears at different loads, I get a wierd noise that I can only describe as a hollow rumble and yet sounds like rushing air at the same time.

I think its safe to say I broke something, any thoughts??

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
While sitting in neutral, no clutch applied or anything, ticking still occurs. This is a heartbreak considering I love this car, but its slowly killing me

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
All you can do is inspect everything under the car to see if anything stands out. Sparks can mean a lot of things- broken clutch/engine/trans/diffy as well as you may have hit some metal object in the road. Start with a thorough underbody inspection- if you don't have the means to lift the car up, have a qualified shop do an inspection for you.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
I'm no transmission whiz but hole in tranny + no oil = shot tranny. Gonna need a new one IMO. Even if you are able to fix the hole so it can hold fluids something is wrong internally. If you fix whats wrong internally will probably equal buying a new/used tranny.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Look around locally. Personally i work at a parts store & i had a guy walk in & tell me he use to own 5 supras at one point & has a bunch of left over parts. he's got about 2 to 3 R154s laying around & will sell them to me for $75 a piece. Hope some of my luck rubs off on to you!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
D.J.T.;1859589 said:
Look around locally. Personally i work at a parts store & i had a guy walk in & tell me he use to own 5 supras at one point & has a bunch of left over parts. he's got about 2 to 3 R154s laying around & will sell them to me for $75 a piece. Hope some of my luck rubs off on to you!
Thats a steal. Go buy those, and make some money.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OP, do you need the car for transportation to work? If so, I would have someone look under the car, pour transmission fluid into the trans (through the shifter hole) and see if it leaks all the way through. Should probably check to see that there is actually a hole in the transmission first...

Anyway, if you NEED the car, and the hole is in a good area for a patch, some JB Weld (much as I'm not a fan of "quick" fixes) might be able to get you by until you can properly fix it. If you are going to work under the car without a pit, remember to use jack stands. ;)

Find any definitive answer yet? If so, take a picture or two.

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Well.....I was wrong. Hole is in the bell housing, not far from the bottom of the driver side inspection , black plate right?

So I would assume I either broke a piece of the clutch or pressure plate. Fml lol

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I assume aftermarket. It still drives, I'm not doing it though. It still shifts fine, just ticks and vibrates like crazy. Something is obviously very unbalanced inside the bell. Thinking just replace the clutch and pp, do the rear main while I'm at it then just jb weld or high temp putty the hole shut??

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jebadoo;1859857 said:
I assume aftermarket. It still drives, I'm not doing it though. It still shifts fine, just ticks and vibrates like crazy. Something is obviously very unbalanced inside the bell. Thinking just replace the clutch and pp, do the rear main while I'm at it then just jb weld or high temp putty the hole shut??
That is what I would do in your shoes. At least the housing is merely there to keep things attached and act as a small shield if your clutch explodes. :p

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
te72;1860060 said:
At least the housing is merely there to keep things attached and act as a small shield if your clutch explodes. :p
The Bellhousing is NOT a "Scattershield" its only there to keep crap out of the clutch and pp/torque converter. A Scattershield is designed to take the impact if anything breaks inside the bellhousing. Thats why his bellhousing broke its not ment to take the abuse of high speed shrapnel. Scattershields save lives, not bellhousings. If your running a high reving high HP/TQ engine Scattershields are highly recomend. Infact you cant enter certain races without em.