R154 pops out of 5th gear

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
hey,

so when i drive my car my tranny would pop out of 5th gear when it didnt have any load on it (not accel or deccel). i thought it would be the shift fork but after pulling apart the tranny, the shift fork is fine. what else could be the cause?

thanks,
Matt

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Highnitro;1313876 said:
hey,

so when i drive my car my tranny would pop out of 5th gear when it didnt have any load on it (not accel or deccel). i thought it would be the shift fork but after pulling apart the tranny, the shift fork is fine. what else could be the cause?

thanks,
Matt

Worn teeth on the sychro hub will cause this, or maybe a thrust washer. It's probably worn out syncros. Get a full rebuild kit from driftmotion, snce it's already apart.

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
ive noticed that there is play in the 5th gear shift shaft, is this normal? the other ones dont have any play. im hoping i dont have to rebuild it, its only got 88k on it.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im not familiar with the R154 but if theres play in the shaft (are you talking about forward backward?) you need to check the detent for that shaft and the springs/keys in the synchro assembly.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
CyFi6;1313983 said:
Check the detents as well

Yeah, forgot about those haha. It's been a few years since the last manual trans rebuild I did. Definately check the detents! Make sure the ball and spring are still there and that the spring isn't broken.

Mileage doesn't really matter if the trans has been abused or run low on oil, same as an engine. It can die at any age. Since it's apart already, I'd do it right. You'll thank yourself later.

Collin