R154 or A340E/TH350

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I know this is like comparing apples to oranges but I'm looking for some technical data and prices. I do love the fun of driving a manual, I find it relaxing when you're out for a cruise and just listening to the engine but I also like the fact you can preload the drivetrain with an auto from a dead stop. An auto never misses a gear either.

Can I get the expenses for getting each transmission to handle the forces of cutting 1.6 60' and running low-mid 10's and still drive home?

What I'm looking for is what it would take to install and run the autos while being reliable enough to drive to the track and back.

What would be the pros/cons for running each transmission and what are rough costs?

Car already has a R154 and 3.91 rear end still running the 2 piece drive shaft.

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
The key is going to be.. What is your car at now?? WHP/WTQ and also the mods already done to the car. There are limitations to your questions and I think we need your full break down, and what else you plan to do to the car to give you a good answer. ie..

If your car is going to be a drag only car a 3 speed or PG GM tranny would be the way to go for drag racing. If you plan on doing allot of highway cruising like I do they may not be the way to go.

1. a th350 can cut a 1.6 60' but is not known to be able to handle high hp.
2. if you plan on using a Trans Break I don't think that our pinions in the diffs will take the shock.
3. I do not know what other people have cut for 60' on a R154 but my best was a 1.87 (1.88 norm @ 609wtq &614whp). Just giving my #'s on this 1 there might be better out there I do not know.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If it is a dedicated drag car, why would you not go with the THM350? Besides money and time. But if it is a dedicated drag car...that will cost money and time.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Having run an R154 at the strip with high power, its doable, but the runs were inconsistent at best. The drivetrain can handle slipped clutch launches that equated to mid to high 1.6 60' times, but I couldn't get it to launch well and shift well. This picture is of a ~550hp tune on wastegate boost. Spun just a little but it was the best I did on low boost last year.

Now, much of that could be improved with better driver mod, and with enough practice I could probably get it down, but 2nd and 3rd are already angry with me and that's a fully build trans with a bunch of new parts. Just can't keep up with the speed of shifting I wanted to do.

All that said, having a big turbo necessitates faster shifting so I don't drop too far out of boost. With a smaller turbo like yours, a built R154 would probably do proportionally better than mine due to that. I built my R154 for about 1k in parts, but had to replace a couple gears and synchro sleeves. And then again after I broke it on the dyno.

I'm contemplating the TH400 route if the V160 adapter plate doesn't work out. I'm looking at ~4k for everything built to hold my ~800whp with most of the gizmos. We shall see!